Rumors and Loneliness

The legend goes, there once was a dragon that lived in the depths of Bailu Forest. A dragon so ancient, it was believed to have lived since the creation of the Bailu Mountain. The dragon was a symbolic creature, one that made people fear and be awed at. Such was a mythical creature, there was bound to be varying interpretation.

    As the story follows, there was a rumor that the mythical beast had demonic sorcery and wicked intentions; none dared to venture into the forest afraid of what lies ahead. The constant speculation, of who's next to be taken, caused many to not dare even set foot near the edge of the forest.

    So many cases of the missing common folk were affiliated with this dreadful being. This made many waver between either worship or distress.

"Have you heard of Lady Rui from the Fu family?"

    A middle-aged man wipes his brow with a tattered piece of cloth, that looks as if it's been in use for years. He looks over to another man while asking, with tiredness and an out-of-breathiness in his voice.

The man in question stopped mid-plow and briefly looked over at the other man.

"I think I have...isn't she the one who had recently gone missing from the neighboring village?"

    The middle-aged man couldn't help but let out an audible sigh, his wrinkles very prominent now showcasing his old age. "Aiya as you say, she is allegedly as lovely as a flower. On her way to be wed, when her carriage suddenly went missing near the Bailu Forest. Shame for her groom."

    The once hardworking man turned into a raging bull, his face twisted and red hot with resentment.

"It must've been that beast! How many more will it take? How many more young daughters and sons will we have to sacrifice until it's satisfied!"

    His anger was uncontrollable, the plow that was once in his hand grew wings and flew across the crops.

"Shh...you mustn't be so loud. What if it hears you? Think of your children, what if it takes them because of what you said."

    Previously the old man was rendered speechless from the sudden outburst from his friend, but he quickly tried to make him see reason before trouble came and blew up in his face. Ah, young people and their hot temper...

    Flustered, the younger one grew silent. He looked away from his friend and opted to stare beadily at the forest to his left.

    The sky had already fallen to dusk, therefore creating an even more dreary look for the forest. The once-bustling area was deathly silent with an occasional hoot from an owl. The wind was beginning to howl with sorrow. The wind tingles their once burning ears caused by the unforgiving sun, now became cold and stiff. The birds or was it rather some unknown creatures, were looking straight in the men's direction with many glowing amber eyes. It sends a shiver down his spine when he unconsciously made eye-contact with one.

    His stomach drops in an almost unusual way, like a gut feeling; something strange that was not a bird, made eye-contact with him. Remembering the old man's words just a moment ago, the man was ready to leave, as he could still feel the pair of eyes staring at his back. His back, although feels the crisp air of the night, is drenched with cold sweat.

"Let's leave for now. It's already getting late."

    Taking his plow that was thrown carelessly, the young fellow made his way back to the village with the old man behind.

"How about I treat you to some drink, Xiao Lan? It's been a tiring day."

The once dark eerie setting turned into a boisterous one, once the two entered back into civilization. The older gentleman glances around the illuminated surrounding; there were many shops open with customers eating and drinking, well-lit lanterns hanged dangling in front of each building they passed, courtesans in lavish clothing stood high above on the upper floors of the bright banners waving both to him and his younger companion. Children were running wild with loud laughter and cheer, and the smell of wine fills the air with an almost indescribable sweetness.

As the two made their way into the village, they don't notice the pair of yellow, almost snake-like eyes stare behind their backs.

----------

    Shen Yuan wouldn't describe himself as someone lonely. Sure the only company he ever has is the few beasts that dare to approach him, the trees and plants, and also his small hoard of treasure, but there was no way he was lonely. No way. His esteemed self would never.

...

    Who was he kidding; he felt so alone. He couldn't remember the last time he had a real conversation with anyone. He adjusts his long decorated sleeves, so they don't weigh him down as much. He blows a bit of stray hair that falls in front of his face. His behind hurts from sitting so long on this damn tree. Ah...there goes his aloof noble image as a wise powerful dragon.

    He glances over to the two humans once again. What could they be talking over there? Seems pretty intense, one threw down his tool. With a furrowed eyebrow, Shen Yuan leans closer.

"..."

    They were whispering now! Why do these humans whisper at the interesting parts, so frustrating! Ah. The two humans are leaving...it is getting relatively dark.

    Letting out a quiet sigh, Shen Yuan carefully makes his way down the tree. With a sore back and behind, he turns around and looks one last time to the village the two went into. Bright red and yellow lights light up the village in an almost dream-like haze; it contrasts with his home, silent and dark. Wouldn't it be great if he could also one day travel like those humans freely without care and worry. But of course, Shen Yuan knows it is but a silly dream that he will never be able to fulfill.

    With a firm step back into the direction of his hoard, he gets ready for a good night of rest. Every dragon needs their beauty sleep right? Or was it every girl? He couldn't even bother anymore. His hoard is pretty small when compared to his other fellow dragons. It mostly consists of a few trinkets, some gold coins, lots of rare scrolls, and some jewelry.

    As he pushes the vines that hides his cave, to the side, he briefly walks over to his hoard and grabs a bronze mirror; his reflection greets him. His noble appearance is in place, but his golden hairpiece was a bit off-center.

    While it looked really nice, it seriously was a pain to keep in place.

    He huffs in frustration and takes it out. He combs through his already way-too-long hair, getting out all the knots and tangles, and stretches his body out so he could better relax. He tosses the comb to the side and plops down right onto the makeshift bed he created, with his treasure surrounding him. He looks outside the parted vines and could see the clear view of the sky. The many stars were like ornaments that decorated the pitch-black sky. He unconsciously smiles, even though it's been seen millions of times, it still brings a person feeling of wonder how vast and open this place was.

'Maybe tomorrow will be more exciting.' Shen Yuan gives a loud yawn and closes his eyes. Sleep comes faster than he expected, ah...it seems like he'll sleep dreamlessly tonight. The world around him soon fades into nothingness.