Lantern Festival pt. 5

"It would be best if you pretend you didn't notice anything, lest something were to happen to you, Master Shen."

    Ah, what a serious expression Shen Yuan recalls as he and his two troublemakers bid their final goodbyes to the ladies. That serious expression was long gone from Lady Min's face. It very much clashed with her image now as she wore a pretty smile, standing at the doorway where Shen Yuan and Luo Binghe first saw Sha Hualing. As the night drew on, there was a facade of pretense ease, but such underlying emotions were not lost on Shen Yuan. There was most definitely something amiss around here. The few ladies that had accompanied them were standing on the balcony, giggling and waving at them.

    Sha Hualing, still with quite the energy, waved back at the ladies with vigor. At least she enjoyed herself.

    The itching feeling before still hasn't left him, but he tried not to show it on his face while being here with the children. Seeing that whatever it is hasn't attacked them yet or showed it's appearance, it was best that he remained calm and hurried to get them the hell out of there.

    The night's chilliness greatly differed from the heat that was the scorching sun during the daytime. The sound of excitement in the village seemed to have dwindled down a notch, seeing as the streets were nearly vacant.

"Thank you, dear customers, for coming here. We hope to see all of you here again."

    "Of course, thank you for your hospitality." A tug was felt on his robe from behind, not sparing a glance he knew the only person behind him was Luo Binghe. What a sticky boy, he mused. He doesn't understand what overcame him, but the gloomy mood from before leaves his body, as he felt a teasing urge at his fingertips. Swiftly with his left hand, he strikes at his target, Luo Binghe's fluffy hair!

    The audible yelp from behind and the softness beneath his palm, let's him know he didn't miss. Not giving Luo Binghe the chance to escape, Shen Yuan makes a mess out of the boy's head.

    A faint chuckle comes out of the woman in front of him. He saw a delicate hand on her face's lower half, but Shen Yuan knew she was probably smiling. "What a nice relationship you have with your children. I am envious." Shen Yuan did not correct her assumption, why bother when he didn't do it the first time she said it. Not wanting to take any more of her time and take any chances of lingering, he nods at her and bids her a final farewell. The children following close behind. To say he wasn't unnerved by this experience would've been a lie; on the inside, he was quite glad that they were finally able to depart from this place. The quicker they were out, the better.

    He deliberately slows down his pace to let his students be within his sight. As they crossed the brothel's threshold and reached the streets where they had come from, he felt his instincts go awry. It was a strange sensation like someone watched him from behind like they were only a few steps behind him. He knew it might be just superstition, but he stops, even when his logical side screaming at him that this wasn't a good idea.

    Craning his head slowly, he was ready to pull the children behind him. Everything stood at a still that moment. There was only the door where they just came from, and a few well-lit lanterns drifting towards the direction of the howling wind. With an average person, this would've looked nothing out of the ordinary, but Shen Yuan wasn't an average person. There was most definitely something wrong here. This feeling creeps up his spine like a long-legged spider, dangling by a single thread. A small figure collides into his back, an annoyed grumble muffles into his ears, but whatever was said didn't seem to reach his ears. He carefully scans around the area to locate where the strange energy he found was emitting from and without much thought took a step in its direction. It was almost automatic, he couldn't bring himself to go anywhere but where the glowing yellow light floated. When his focus regained itself and limbs feeling like a force was lifted from it, he found himself only inches away from the dancing light of a red lantern.