I'm Not Ready to Be Assassinated

Autumn seemed a little embarrassed. She stared at the ground as every eye in the room rested on her.

"Three?" Bradford said with a bewildered look. "In one week?"

"This has to mean something!" Darven said excitedly.

The Archduke stepped closer to Autumn and held out his hand. "Hello. I am Sherman Bradford, Archduke of Elegit Terram. It is so wonderful to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you too," Autumn said timidly, shaking his hand.

"I'm sure you are very confused and maybe a little frightened, but I assure you, you are safe. All of your questions will be answered soon." He turned to me and Juliet. "Lady Juliet and Lord Chaz, would you please introduce yourselves?"

I looked to Juliet and she stepped forward first.

"I'm Juliet," she said. "I'm from California and I got here almost a week ago."

Autumn's face lit up with a big smile. "I'm so glad I'm not alone. This is all so crazy. I feel like I'm going crazy."

"You're definitely not going crazy. It took me a couple of days to believe this was actually happening. We'll talk a lot more later."

Juliet stepped back and I stepped forward, raising my hand to shake hers.

"Hey, I'm Chaz," I said, trying to sound smooth. "I just got here today too, so I know how you're feeling."

"Really?" Autumn asked, even more excited. "Has it been really scary and confusing for you too?"

"Yeah, it was pretty scary when I first arrived. But so far, everyone has been really good to me, and most of my questions have been answered. Since we're both new here, we'll have to make sure we stick together."

"Yes, we will," Autumn agreed. "I'm glad I already have some friends I can talk to."

Next, Darven took a turn to introduce himself.

"Lady Autumn," Bradford said, "if you would please follow Darven and I, we will explain everything that is going on and hopefully answer a lot of your questions." He turned to the rest of us. "Captain Fynn, you are dismissed. Juliet and Chaz, you may also be on your way. After we are done briefing Autumn, we will come find you."

Fynn and Garriton bowed to the Archduke, then Juliet and I did as well. I watched Autumn and Darven follow him out of the room. At the same time, Fynn and Garriton headed out the door. I turned to find Juliet grinning at me.

"You're crushing on her already?" Juliet teased.

"No way," I stated. "I just barely met her."

"We'll have to make sure we stick together," she quoted. "You're such a flirt. I'm pretty sure you're one of those guys who falls in love with every cute girl he meets."