I Might Already Be a Fugitive

I woke up in an unfamiliar and uncomfortable bed. Startled, I opened my eyes and sat up. I gazed around the vaguely familiar room, trying to remember where I was. Light shone through the thin curtains drawn over the window, revealing the soft-looking red rug on the floor with crumpled clothing lying on top. I saw the blue jerkin and black pants and then it hit me–I was back in the Dream World.

I got out of bed and grabbed the clothing on the floor. Neatly folding them, I put them in one of the dresser drawers and laid out the other pairs of clothing I had on my bed. I didn't know if it mattered, but people would definitely notice if I wore the same clothing I'd had on yesterday, so I put on something different.

I opened the curtains to let the sunshine fully enter my room, squinting as I looked out over the training grounds for a moment. Then I moved over to the mirror and took in my reflection, doing my best to fix my messy hair. Once I was somewhat satisfied with my appearance, I left the room, locking it behind me. I looked around the empty hall, allowing my eyes to rest on Autumn's door, and then Juliet's. Were they here yet? It was the weekend, so they would probably be up late hanging out with friends and doing fun stuff.

I had no idea where I was supposed to go or what to do, so I decided I would find out if they were there. I knocked on Autumn's door and was surprised when I heard a reply.

"Just a minute," her muffled voice said from behind the door.

After a couple of minutes, Autumn opened the door. She was wearing her usual big smile. "You look nice," she said, stepping into the hall and shutting the door behind her.

"Do you think this is too fancy for training?" I asked, feeling self-conscious. "I wasn't sure what to wear."

"I'm sure it's fine. Is Juliet here yet?"

"I don't know. I haven't checked."

We walked over to Juliet's door and I knocked. There was no answer.

"Juliet, are you in there?" Autumn yelled as she took a turn knocking.

Still there was no response.

"Maybe we can go find some breakfast and then come back," I suggested.

"Okay. I like that idea."

We left the hall and entered the quiet waiting room. I was surprised to see that it was completely empty.

"Where is everyone?" Autumn asked, looking around the room.

"Maybe it's because it's the weekend," I guessed. "They probably get the day off."

"I'm still a little confused about how the time lines up. Is it Friday or Saturday here?"

"I'm pretty sure it's Saturday."

We headed through a door on the other side of the room that I thought might lead to the dining hall.

"So, how'd your day go yesterday?" Autumn asked as we walked through the empty hallway.

"It was alright. It was hard to pay attention in school. Oh, and I had another daydream come true."

"Another? Really? How many have you had come true before?"

I briefly told her about the first two daydreams that had happened exactly as I saw them, and then in more detail, I told her about what happened with the skunk and how I didn't see that last part of the future.

"That's crazy, Chaz!" Autumn said. "It also sounds like you think about this Presley a lot."

"N-not really," I stammered, wondering how she was able to figure that out. "Why do you say that?"