𝟒. 𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞

You'll never know what hit you

You'll never know
what hit you...

Won't see me
closing in
*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐇 𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄

HER STOMACH SHIFTED UNEASILY and she noticed that the hands that she was hugging herself with were pinching into her skin. She eventually released her hands but then she couldn't figure out what to do with them, so instead they clasped and unclasped each other as if in constant need of touch and reassurance. Katerina was sitting on Ransom's doorstep in the warm breeze of an August morning, yet she was shaking but thankfully Ransom wasn't home, he had left early that morning to handle business in town.

If she'd stayed up all night it would have made no difference to her exhaustion. By the morning the bed sheets were in a knot and aside from a few fit-full half hours of vivid dreams she didn't sleep a wink.

Cold sweat glistened on her furrowed brow. With hands clasped tightly in front of her stomach as she sat down, she constantly fiddled with her knuckles, weaving her fingers in and out of each other.

She had boiled the kettle five times that morning, already filled to the brim with tea and wired with caffeine, she busied herself getting the cups and teabags ready. Another quick glance at the luminous digital clock of the oven only seemed to confirm that time was continuing, her stomach knotted up.

All thoughts of negativity came flooding in, as if her body chemistry just sent them a blanket invitation. She could feel the soft panic that could grow or fade depending on what she did next. It would fade if through it away, but then she would have to do this all again another time. It would grow if she let those thoughts swirl into a vortex of stupidity, eating their own tail.

Suddenly, she heard it. The dreaded sound of the timer.

Making her way to the bathroom she opened the door and quickly sat down on top of the toilet seat for a moment. A muscle twitched involuntarily at the corner of her right eye, her mouth formed a rigid grimace. With arms folded tightly across her chest, she tapped her foot furiously and all the while stared out of the window. This fitfully sunny morning would either see the dawn of her new life or snap her dreams in two.

She began pacing up and down as if determined to wear out a thin trail in the carpet, Katerina stared down at her own socked feet. Her eyes were large and watery and as she paced she constantly punched one hand into the other.

She should have known. She was nauseous and liable to vomit at the slightest provocation. She couldn't even fill up her car with petrol without the fumes making her wretch and heave. And it lasted all damn week.