𝟕. 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐦𝐞 𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐬𝐨𝐦

My love is your disease

My love is your
disease...

I won't let it set you
free
*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐓

SOON AFTER THE VIBRANT SUMMER RAYS had began to warm the day, the air was very clear and the long morning shadows distinct. Katerina had been waiting for that morning for so long that she barely believed her eyes when the sharp shadows casted by the street-lamps through her metallic blinds start to fade, diluted by the onset of daylight. Then a chorus of birds broke the drone of the city traffic. She knew it was too early to show up to the Thrombey, but after the appointment she wouldnt be home long before she had to make her way to the mansion.

Driving up the narrow lane of stones, she spied detective Blanc, Lieutenant Elliott, Trooper Wagner, Mr Proofroc and Marta all standing outside the security office.

"Katerina." Lieutenant Elliott spoke as he walked closer to her car. "Are you here for the will reading?"

"Yeah, Linda asked me to come. Said she wants me to help the affairs left to her by Harlon."

She watched as Detective Blanc smirked at what she said before he turned to her. "Well, why don't you come down with us and your sister."

The forest humned with life all around her. She twirled about as she walked, gazing up at the canopy, searching for the birds that sang sweetly. The sun broke through the cracks, lighting up the dirt path ahead of her, decorated with outgrown roots, wildflowers and fallen leaves that crunch beneath her shoes. Nevertheless, she trudged on, taking in the fragrance of minty grass and the damp earth.

"It's beautiful out here, but do you really think someone broke into the house to murder Harlon?" Lieutenant Elliot asked Benoit as the trudged through the forest.

However, Katerina's focus was rested upon her sister. She could see the anxiety that sat below her sisters smile, her actions. "Are you ok, Marta? You seem, I don't know... Agitated?"

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine." Marta replied shortly, with a watery smile and short dissmive wave of her hand.

Truth be told, the more anxious she became the more pronounced became her intellectualization of the whole process and situation she was in. She rationalized and viewed the problem from different view points however, her rapid heartbeat was preventing her from thinking clearly.

Suddenly, Tooper Wagner appeared along side the girls. "Eh, I can hang on to that." He spoke to Marta, asking for the video tape.

"I went to the appointment this morning." Katerina spoke quietly, cautious of the men behind her. The stress spread through her mind like ink on paper. She took in a deep, ragged breath before placing her hands, enclosed together in front of her. "They said everything's ok, she's healthy."