Chapter 5: The Encounter

Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters

'I've read so much about this place. But being here, it actually seems kind of... ... familiar,' Moira MacTaggert spoke as she, Charles and Alex Summers rolled up in front of the castle-like mansion. 

'It's strange - it could be quite,' Charles replied. 'Shall we?' The three went into Charles' office.
'Hank. You in here?' Charles called. 'I'd like you to meet the...'

'Moira,' Raven interrupted.

'Raven?' Charles asked quizically. He was confused by Raven's appearance and rightly so. 

'I'm sorry, have we met?' Moira asked. She too was confused, her memories had been erased by Charles after the incident in Cuba.

'Hank, Alex, agent MacTaggert, would you give us just one moment please?' Charles asked. 

'Of course,' Moira replied, then she, Alex and Hank left the room. Charles drove his wheelchair behind his desk, looking at Raven the whole way. Then, she spoke. 

'Charles, why didn't she recognize me? She knew me in this form.'

'Well. After you left me on the beach in Cuba, I took her memories of that time. Have a sit.' Raven sat in the chair in front of the desk. 

'Lucky girl,' Raven replied sarcastically. 

'It's good to see you, Raven - welcome home,' Charles said.

'This isn't my house,' Raven snapped.

'It was once,' he replied, trying to sound nice. 

'No, it was your home. I just lived here. I barely even recognize it now,' she said. He kept motioning his wheelchair around the room, then he came to the window. He soon spoke again.

'Yeah, I have plans for this place. I mean to turn it into a real campus. A university. Not just for mutants, even for humans too. Living and working, ... growing together.'

'You know, I really believed that once. I really believed we can change them after DC,' Raven spoke.

'We did,' Charles replied.

'No Charles,' Raven retorted. 'They still hate and fear us. It's just harder to see because they're more polite about it. I got sick of living that lie.'

'That's why you're not in your natural blue form.'

'I'm not going to be the face of a world that doesn't exist,' Raven snapped.

'Things are better. The world is better,' Charles pleaded. 

'Maybe in Westchester. Out there, mutants are still running, hiding, living in fear. Just because there's not a war doesn't mean there's peace. If you want to teach your kids something, teach them that. Teach them to fight. Otherwise, they might as well live in this house for the rest of their lives.'

'You still sound just like him. You sound just like Erik,' Charles replied, nearly gritting his teeth. The frustration of it was getting to him. 

'That's why I'm here,' Raven spoke. Charles looked at her, wondering what had happened to Erik this time. 'He's resurfaced. He had a wife and a daughter. They were killed. Along with a handful of policemen. The whole world will be looking for him. But you can help me find him before they do.' He was almost about to cry, feeling Erik's pain. Erik's whole world was collapsing again.

A moment later, Raven, Charles, Alex and Hank went down into one of the rooms, where the telepathic helmet Cerebro was stored.