Chapter 9: Deliverance Comes

In the present world...

'Let's jump,' Hank yelled.

'What?' Scott yelled back, confused.

'Cover me,' Hank said.

'I got you,' replied Scott.

'Come on!' Peter yelled back.

In the astral plane...

'They lack strength, Charles,' Apocalypse said of the young mutants telepathically to Charles.

In the present world...

'Jean, Adelaide,' he spoke, his eyes still closed. Jean came closer as I was still kneeling next to him, waiting for the fight to be over.

In the astral plane...

'Come here,' Apocalypse yelled to Charles, continuing to beat and batter him until there was no fight left in him.

'Help... me,' Charles said weakly.

In the present world...

'Stay here,' Hank commanded, then he left to join the others in fighting Apocalypse in the present world.

'They can't stop him,' Moira said with fear in her voice. I nodded in agreement.

In the astral plane...

'Jean, Adelaide. Help me!' Charles yelled, his face bloodied by the attack from Apocalypse.

In the present world...

'Hank! Hank!' Scott yelled, struggling to hold Apocalypse off in the present fight.

In the astral plane...

'It's over, Charles. You're finished. You're mine now,' Apocalypse taunted, continuing to crush and beat down Charles.

'You will never win,' Charles said.

'And why is that?' Apocalypse asked, almost taunting Charles. He thought he had won completely. But Jean and I stepped into the astral plane.

'Because you are alone. And I am not! Let ... go. Unleash your power, Jean. No fear. Unleash your power! Let go, Jean! Jean, Adelaide, let go!' Charles yelled. We began to unleash our true powers. A strange fire surrounded me and I yelled, revelling in the strength of my full powers. The rest of the young mutants stood around in shock as they looked to Jean and I unleashing our powers. Slowly, but surely, the fight began to turn.

'He's getting away,' Hank yelled.

'All is revealed,' Apocalypse spoke. With the full strength of our powers, Apocalypse began to be incinerated to fiery pieces under the strength of our telekinetic and telepathic powers combined. When he finally disappeared into fire, it was done. We both levitated down and came to Charles. I pulled him into my lap, the tears welling up again.

'Charles! Charles!' I yelled, shaking him gently. He was completely still and I thought he had died from the physical and mental strain of fighting in the astral plane. I hung my head in defeat and spoke quietly. 'We've lost him.'

'Charles,' Hank said quietly. He put his hand on my shoulder, somehow feeling my pain as I held the love of my life in my arms. It felt like Cuba all over again, only Charles wasn't moving.

'He's gone,' Moira said, echoing my thoughts.

'No, Charles. Charles...' Hank said. I shook Charles gently again, but to no avail.

'No, he's not. I can still feel him,' Jean said softly. She knelt across from me and put her hand on his head. After a while, he opened his eyes and the first person he looked upon was Jean.

'Thank you, Jean,' he said gratefully. Then his eyes drifted over to me and then to Moira.

'Charles? Charles, do you know where you are?' Moira asked.

'I'm on a beach. In Cuba. With you,' he said softly. I looked away and bit my lip, remembering that Charles still remembered falling in love with Moira and then erasing her memories.

'What beach?' she asked, confused. He touched her head gently.

(In flashback) 'I'm Charles. Charles Xavier.' Looking back to the two, I saw a tear run down Moira's cheek as she regained her memories.

'I'm sorry. I should never have taken those from you,' Charles said softly.

'Hold on! What did I miss?' Kurt ran in, almost yelling, fearing that he had missed something in the midst of his constant teleporting.

All over the world...

News broadcaster 1: 'It seems only by the grace of God, that the ominous destruction... seen from one end of the globe to the other, has stopped...'

News broadcaster 2: 'At a debriefing today, CIA Special Agent Moira MacTaggert... revealed to an investigative committee...'

News broadcaster 3: 'The committee was further stunned to learn that fugitives Erik and Adelaide Lehnsherr... aided in defeating this powerful and unknown...'

At a government base...

'I think our prayers were answered. Thank you, Mr. President,' a general said, placing the phone down next to him.

News broadcaster 4: 'The potential destructive power of mutants... ... is sure to fuel new controversy and debate... at a time when mutants were becoming accepted around the world.'