Chapter 10: Happy Endings

At the X Mansion in Westchester...

Erik and Jean were getting ready to rebuild the mansion. Jean was trying to persuade me to help them rebuild.

'No, Jean,' I kept saying. 'Let your powers shine. I need to rest a while longer before my body is healed fully. It was a lot of mental strain fighting Apocalypse alongside you and Charles, not to mention starting to destroy the world with Erik. It's been a lot to take in.' She walked forward as Erik levitated. Winking at me, he and Jean began to rebuild the Westchester mansion, now dubbed the X Mansion. Behind me, I could hear a small conversation between Storm (Ororo Munroe) and Quicksilver (Peter Maximoff).

'Mystique told me he is your father,' she said, gesturing to Erik. 'Are you gonna tell him?'

'I might... one day. I think for now, I'm just gonna stick around here for a while,' he replied. I came up to Peter and Ororo and gently elbowed him.

'Me, too,' she said, smiling. Then Peter turned to me.

'You're the Professor's wife... and Erik's daughter.'

'Yup. You're my brother. You're stuck with me. Forever, bro.' He groaned as I smirked cheekily.

A couple days later (at the X Mansion)...

'The world's already begun rebuilding its arsenals,' Charles said to Erik. I stood behind Charles' wheelchair, my hand on the back of it. I was sad to see Erik go. We'd been through a lot, he and I. The experience had been good, yet a little traumatic for the three of us.

'It's human nature, Charles,' he replied.

'Nice to see you haven't changed, Dad,' I said, almost laughing. He gave me a little wink and one of his cheeky smirks.

'I still have hope,' Charles said assuredly. I always loved Charles' optimism for the future of humans and mutants growing, living and working together.

'Oh, yes. Hope,' Erik replied sarcastically.

'I was right about Raven. I was even right about you.' I smiled. Charles was right.

'What about the rest of the world? Doesn't it ever wake you up in the middle of the night? The feeling that one day they'll come for you... and your children.' I bit my lip, knowing he'd touched on a particular subject that was very hard for me to deal with.

'It does, indeed,' I spoke. 'It really does, Erik. Charles and I both worry about that.'

'What do you do when you wake up to that?' Erik spoke.

'I feel a great swell of pity for the poor soul... that comes to my school looking for trouble,' Charles replied softly. I nodded in agreement. Then he began to leave out the side door.

'You're sure we can't convince you to stay?' I asked, hoping beyond hope that he would perhaps change his mind.

'You're psychic, Adelaide. You and Charles can convince me to do anything.' I smiled and embraced him. He was taken aback by the gesture, but then he put his arms around me. When I had enough, I released and he kissed me on the forehead. 'I love you, sweetie.'

'You too, Dad.' As he got near to the door, Charles spoke.

'Goodbye, old friend.' He turned his head slightly and then, after a moment of silence, he replied.

'Good luck, Professor. Adelaide, if you need me, find me on Genosha.'

'I will, Dad. Farewell.' Then he left and trying to fight back the tears, Charles and I turned to see Raven in the room in front of us walking in front of a group of young mutants, whom I recognised as Hank McCoy, Scott Summers, Jean Grey, Ororo Munroe, Kurt Wagner and Peter Maximoff. I smiled. 'We have come a long way,' Charles said to me telepathically.

'Yes. We definitely have,' I replied telepathically to him. Placing my hand on his shoulder, we listened to Raven address the young mutants.

'Forget everything you think you know. Whatever lessons you learned in school... whatever your parents taught you. None of that matters! You're not kids anymore. You're not students.' There was a moment of silence for the young mutants to take that in. Then I, coming up to stand next to her, I spoke.

'You're the X-Men.'