Chapter 7: Arrival In Cairo

Kurt teleported up to the window and stared down at the four prisoners in this dimly lit cell. Stryker had gone, along with the soldiers that had been in there with him and now they were all alone. 

'Kurt,' Hank spoke. The rest looked up at the blue teleporter standing at the window, trying to speak to them. They couldn't hear, though. 

'What?' Moira yelled, straining to hear Kurt's words through the thick glass. 

'What?' Peter repeated. 

'Hey. Stay away from the...' Kurt yelled. They still couldn't hear him. 

'The what?' Hank yelled.

'Th... door... Stay away from the...' Kurt yelled. There was much frustration now as they tried to figure out what he was saying. 

'Get away from the door!' Raven yelled, having finally got the message.

'The door! The door!' Peter yelled, also having got the message. 

'On three. One. Two...' Kurt yelled, signaling Scott to use his optic beams to blast through the door. Jean, Scott and Kurt came through the dust and smoke of the wrecked door. 

'We know where the Professor is,' Jean said abruptly. 

'I think we might have a way out of here,' Scott suggested.

'Well, you've been busy,' Raven spoke, a little impatience in her voice. 

'We had a... a little help. Let's go,' Scott replied. 

'Watch out!' Kurt yelled. 

'Jesus!' Peter swore.

'Oh, sorry,' Kurt said apologetically. 

'This way,' Scott chimed in, bringing an end to the yelling between the silver-haired speedster and the blue-skinned teleporter.

In Cairo...

'This was meant to be the center of the universe before I was betrayed. Now. It will be,' Apocalypse proclaimed as he used his telekinesis to build a large pyramid.

Back at the base...

The small team of mutants came up to a massive warplane. 

'Nice,' Hank said. The rest were trying to contain their gawk, especially the younger members such as Peter and Kurt. 

'Hey, Hank. Do you think you can fly this thing?' Raven asked, coming to stand by his side.

'Yeah, I can figure it out,' he replied.

'Hey, guys. Flight suits,' Scott piped up.

'You got your warplane. Let's go to war,' Raven announced bravely.

In Cairo...

Erik stood before Apocalypse as he made a maroon helmet in his hands, handing it to Erik. He took it.

'A gift... From the past you left behind.' After placing on his helmet, Erik beckoned me to come to him and Apocalypse made the same helmet for me. 'And the future that lies ahead. You, will reach down, my son and daughter, deep into the Earth. Rip everything they built from the ground. Wipe clean this world. And we will lead those that survive into to a better one.'

'And me? Am I to play a role in this madness?' asked Charles, interrupting our moment.

'You have the most important role of all,' Apocalypse replied in a tone that chilled the blood in my veins.

On the plane to Cairo...

'Were you scared? That day in DC, were you scared?' Jean asked Raven on the bumpy ride to Cairo.

'No. But I was scared on my first mission. I was on a plane like this with my friends. About your age. We called ourselves the X-Men. Your brother was there,' she replied, gesturing to Scott. 'We used to call him Havok. He was a real handful, but... when it came down to it, he was very brave.'

'What happened to the rest of the kids that went with you? The X-Men,' Kurt asked.

'Hank and I are the only ones left. I couldn't save the rest of them. I told you, I'm not a hero,' Raven replied.

'Well, you're a hero to us. Seeing you that day on TV changed my life,' Jean replied with adoration in her voice.

'Mine too,' Kurt echoed.

'Mine too. I mean, I still live in my mom's basement, but... Everything else is... Well, it's pretty much the same. I'm a total loser,' Peter echoed. The small group of mutants laughed nervously.

At a government base...

'What we're seeing is a magnetic phenomenon on a much larger scale than we saw in Auschwitz. The ground is full of magnetic elements. Iron, nickel, cobalt. The ocean's floor is lying with them too. It's already begun, at the lowest depths. Land masses will slow it, but not for long. Eventually, cities, urban centers. Anything built since the Bronze Age will be wiped away. The death toll will be billions,' a scientist echoed over the television. There were gasps of shock around the main room of the government base.

'He's talking about the whole goddamn world,' a general said, his voice full of fear.

In Cairo...

'You're just another false god. And whoever's left to follow you when this is all over. They will betray you again,' Charles spoke defiantly.

'You're wrong, Charles. For the first time in a thousand lifetimes... I have you. For all my gifts, I've yet to possess the one I needed most. To be... everywhere. To be... everyone,' Apocalypse replied, just as defiantly.

Meanwhile...

The group of mutants had landed in Cairo. Creeping around several wrecked buildings, they noticed the large pyramid in front of them, looming like a ghastly mountain.

'Seventh wonder, 12 o'clock,' Hank said, gesturing to the pyramid.

'He has the Professor in the center of the pyramid. He's going to transfer his consciousness into the Professor. If he does that, he'll have the power to control every mind in the world,' Jean said with nervousness in her voice.

'What the hell is that?' Moira asked, gesturing to the massive piles and sheets of dirt and metal rising from the ground into the air.

'It's Erik and Adelaide. You guys help Nightcrawler get into the pyramid. Get Charles. I'll take care of them,' Raven replied.