Chapter 3 Observations and food

Alexander sat on the Generals bed gushing over the teddy bear under Washington's watchful eye. Normally this would be very uncomfortable for the boy but the teddy was really more interesting than that right now. It was brown and cute and soft and it had cute eyes and a nose and oh wow Alex loved it! He has had teddy only once before this. Jemmy tried to get him one once for his 3rd birthday and somehow even managed to get him one. It is well worn out and hidden under Alexander's pillow. His biggest treasure.

He took note of things around him while hugging the small Jemmy bear to his chest. He was in a room. It was very tidy but not overly. There were papers littering around in neat stacks.

Next to himself. His clothes were really too big for him the sleeves were too long and the coat was almost as long as the boy. He didn't mind he was used to wrong sized clothes. His abdomen throbbed from his father's latest annoyance for not talking English, mom liked French so did Jemmy and so did Alexander. But Father didn't like when Alex talked French. He sais that Alex has to learn to speak English well if he wants to build anything of his pitiful life. "Build a legacy boy or be forgotten" was once told before he got punished. His stomach churned in hunger. Alexander was used to this feeling and ignoring it.

Mr. George was still looking at him with something Alex didn't understand. His eyes were crinkled and the corner of his mouth slightly rose. That's good, right? But there was a small frown on his brow. Not good.

Alex was good at telling what people thought and what they might do and how to react to them. When someone fists went tight and lips pursued and jaw lock you put your head down and preferably don't talk back or when they shout you nod and agree. But Mr. George was unknown. Alex didn't know what he might do if he misbehaved. He sais he will protect him and keep him safe but that doesn't necessarily mean he won't get punished. The man calls him son. It's strange and sets a twinge in Alex. Part of him loves it. He wants it. Part of him wants his father to call him that with the same pride this man put in it.

His growling stomach interrupts his thoughts. He blushes slightly it was clear Mr. George was rich and probably never hungry and him a poor young and scrappy was starving. Not fair but Alex had learned a long time ago that life wasn't fair.

Washington watched Alexander with delightful amusement and fondness as the boy played with the teddy. He was curious about his son. There was a slight accent on Alexander's tone. One Washington had not heard often. Sometimes when Alexander is so exhausted -or drunk- his well-hidden accent would bleed though and in worst cases, he would speak French. Washington didn't mind when his voice did that. It was part of him but he didn't understand French so that was slightly problematic. He was clearly happy with his new furry companion but still slightly cautious. Understandable Washington thinks.

Alexander was now watching him he noticed. There was a question in his eyes one he was clearly looking for from George. Washington lets him search and so he waits.

Alexander's head was tilted in question as they stare at each other and his right hand was wrapping the Jemmy teddy to his chest. They were snapped out of it by Alexander's growling stomach. Alexander blushes and averts his gaze in embarrassment. Washington immediately gets up. Which causes Alexander to flinch. He quickly apologizes and silently curses himself. He hadn't realized that the kid might be hungry.

"You hungry kid?" he asks casually and as non-threateningly man of his size could.
Alexander looks at him puzzled but nods.

"Yes, Mr.George Sir, I'm sorry" Washington stares at him in bewildered. Why was he sorry?

"It's okay, son. There's nothing to worry about. Let's get you something to eat" He says gently.

Alex watches his eyes wide and then lets out a shy smile. So small and cute and oh dear lord Washington might die because that was so so so adorable and left him absolutely helpless. Washington was going to offer a hand unsure if Alexander wanted to touch when the kid threw caution to the wind and made grabby hands at him. With wide begging violet-blue puppy eyes. Washington was so dead. His legs felt weak and his war-hardened heart melted. This was a small show of trust. And Washington will take it.

He carefully lifted the boy of the bed and placed him on his hip. Alex slowly wraps his hands around Washington's neck and leans in. It felt nice. It was safe and warm and so so so comfortable.

Washington felt warm spread around his heart as they walked out to get food. He didn't worry about his soldiers seeing him like this. They knew Alexander was his son and they all liked Alex and respected Washington.

Some soldiers cood and waved at Alexander when they walked past. Alexander waved shily back and sometimes hid his face into Washington's neck.

Once they arrived in the food tent he sat Alexander down and went to get some food. Aaron had joined Alexander while he was gone and Alexander was talking his ears off. Burr was watching Alexander in amusement, disbelief, and fondness. Once he spotted the General he saluted.

"Mr. George, Mr. George! Look I made a friend!!"

"Yes, I can see that, son. Mr. Burr (sir) have you found out how to fix this?"

"No, sir. I'm still looking for the right relic but I believe I have a hunch" Washington only nods at this.

He sets a full plate in front of Alexander. Alexander was once again wide-eyed gaping at Washington, then the food, then Burr and again at Washington.

"For me?" Alexander asks in hopeful disbelief. Washington's heart hurts again.

"Yes. For you, son" Washington shares a look with Burr who also looks kinda like someone kicked his puppy. Multiple times.

"All of it" Alexander whispers. Washington nods not trusting his voice.

Alexander reaches for it. Slowly like expecting them to take it away. His fingers almost touch the plate and then looks at Washington again. Washington nods encouragingly at him. And then his fingers touched the plate and like a switch was flipped he took it quickly and started to eat. He ate quickly desperately to get the food down before someone decided to take it away. Washington remembers Alexander being like this after he had brought his boy back home. It pains him more now to look at a child doing it.

"Alexander" he sais slowly and gently.

Alexander stops in fear.

"Alexander" he repeats "Slow down, son. You will get sick. No one is going to take it away" Washington sais gently.

Alexander nods hesitantly and starts eating but slower.

Other soldiers come to say hi and introduce themselves while they sit. Alexander was energetic and talkative but he was also flinched aways away from loud noises at the times and kept close to Washington. The Teddy close to his chest at all times.

Soon his eyelids started to get heavy and tiny (Adorable) yawns escaped his smallmouth. Washington notices and puts an end to the fun. Kids 6. So he needs sleep.

He carries the sleepy boy back to the tent a before they even get to their destination Alexander was already asleep. Small puffs of breath tickled Washington's neck.

He tucks his son into the small cot he made for the boy and smiles.

Notes: Thats chapter 3 for you. Hope you enhoyed.

I made a fic "What Home?" that has the time when Washington send Alexander home that he didn't have. If you haven't go check it out while you wait for the chapter 4. It set into this same timeline but not neccasery read to understand this one. You might enjoy it though.

I already drew for chapter 4 And I'm proud how it looks. This ones was but crappy.

Thank you for reading leave a comment, like and a prompt those are appreciated!
Tumblr: Pinxku22

Thank you for reading leave a comment, like and a prompt those are appreciated!Tumblr: Pinxku22