Chapter 11: The unimaginable

"He stopped breathing"

It took a while for Washington to register it into his brain.

Alexander wasn't breathing anymore.

His mind numbed into a blurry daze. All he could concentrate on was the small body in his lap. A small fist loosened but still holding on his jacket. His own hand on the small chest that had stopped its unsteady movement.

Tear tracks down on the innocent face of his son. The final moments of his agony.

It took a while to realize that the teardrops that appeared on that face were not from Alexander but himself, and just like that the numbness broke under a wave of sorrow, loss, and pain.

He wanted to scream, cry, yell anything. He didn't want freedom or leadership any longer he wanted his son. He wanted that happy bubble of that morning. He wanted those intelligent, happy all though burdened eyes looking at him. He wanted that clever mouth calling him daddy. Smiling at him with adoration.

Sobs started to rack his body as he cradled the smaller empty body against his chest. Whispers of empty words escaping his mouth. His eyes shut tightly. Denial was a strong thing and as long as his eyes were closed he could pretend that Alexander was just asleep.

-ω-

Burr(sir) watched numbly as his leader fell apart in front of him. It couldn't be... Alexander. Alexander was dead.

He has failed his friend. He had failed his General and by the look of it might as well failed the whole revolution. Washington was going through the unimaginable and was in no shape to lead.

If only he had been faster. The book that would have saved Alexander hung loosely in his grip.

The sound of Washington's sobs could be heard loudly through the camp. Everyone kept inside and quiet out of respect. Those who were fathers graved to have their children in their arms. To hold them and feel them alive.

Burr(sir) heard the silent whispers that Washington mumbles into the empty body in his arms. His heart broke for his commander.

"I'm so sorry. I'm sorry... Come back... Please, please... Come back, son... I'm sorry...please...son...don't leave me..."

Silent tears fell down Aaron's face. God it hurt to listen.

"I love you... I should have said it more. I love you son"

Just as those words left the grieving father's lips, Alexander's body started to glow. A bright light much like before enveloped it and without a though Washington held his boy tighter. Whispering 'I love you' again and again.

And then the light was gone. And where once was a small six years old was now a 20 years old man. Their Alexander.

Washington stared at his son in disbelief. Letting hope ignite in him. But there was no sign of life. He waited and watched. Unsure what to expect.

Nothing.

There was nothing.

There was no sudden gasp of breath. No sudden awakening nothing.

Fate or whoever controlled it all was cruel. Giving hope only to rip it away.

Another sob bubbles in his chest. He was sure he ran out of tears but it appeared he was wrong.

Alexander was once again cradled on his chest as he whispered another silent 'I love you'.

When he looked down vivid violet-blue eyes were staring up at him. They were glazed over and half-lidded but looking at him.

'Oh please oh please' he prayed silently as he stared down at those eyes. Afraid to blink or breath in the belief of destroying this illusion.

"S-son?" He whispered. Hands shaking.

Sluggishly Alexander blinked again. Weak as a kitten in his lap.

"D-dad?" It was a silent breath but enough for Washington.

A sob, not of sadness but of happiness escaped from Washington. Mentally and physically exhausted from the whole emotional rollercoaster Washington could only hug his son.

"I love you so much oh god my boy, my son oh..."

Aaron Burr(sir) could only stare in amazement and careful delight.

He quickly looked down at the book in his hand. His eyes moved to the personal research section. It took a while for him to be able to concentrate on the words.

'Notes: After excessive experimentation, we were able to discover that only unconditional love for the victim of the age-stone can save them. So far 2 out of 12 experiments have survived. It appears the effect of the stone starts to wear off in 3 to 7 days. After that, the subjects seem to start to experience high fever, headache, burning sensation, and any previous injury delivered to the body. After hours the body seems to give in and the experiment dies. There is a chance after death that the subject can be saved with unconditional love if the bond between the two is truly strong and pure.'

Ah that made sense. Burr(sir) mused. Who better save Alexander than Washington. After all, the parent will always love his child unconditionally.

'Update: We lost the other survivor. It appears the subject should not be separated by its savior at least for a week. It appears the Stone's side effect for the subjects cause weakness and need for affection for the next week or so. We will continue monitoring them'.

Burr(sir) looked up at the father-son pair and was quite sure not separating those two would not be a problem. He silently thanked whoever it was for letting Alexander stay alive and come back to his dad and slipped away. He had a job to do. He needed to destroy that stone.

Notes: Getting close to an ending

:D Did you like that?
Yes, I went with the power of love *Jazz hands* What can I say Washindad is gold.

Oh my gosh the feedback last chapter was amazing! Thank you everybody! I always love to read what you think.

#IDidThisInsteadOfReadingToAnExam oopsie.  Meaning to write a lot of ideas I have but things got in a way and all. I'll try though.

Check out this little Hamilton video I made:
https://youtu.be/Te84E3egOtc

Also some art cause I haven't have made anything for this one in a while :(. Inspired by the song Hurricane:"In the eye of hurricane there is quiet"

Thank you for reading! Leave a comment and kudos those make me happy and come say hi on Tumblr @Pinxku22

Stay safe!