Chapter 5 - Planning

Alex – January 1994

I let myself into Christina's new apartment. Once her lease was up, she moved to her own place, one that I would move into once we were married. I'd moved to Brooklyn once I'd left investment banking and joined Ed and Sam's company to lessen the commute and be closer to my job. I could have moved in with Christina, but I delayed the move in order to have a few more months rolling out of bed and into the office. Once I moved in with Christina, I'd have to wake up earlier to make the train to get to work. I dreaded it.

I walked the hallway leading into the kitchen. I overheard Christina on the phone.

"...yes, mom. I got it. I'll talk to Alex about it. Uh huh. Yeah. Got it."

She saw me and motioned for me to come closer. "Is that your mom?" I mouthed.

"Listen mom, I have to go. I'll call you later." And with that she hung up the phone.

"Hey, why didn't you give me the phone to say hi to your mom?" I asked.

"Seriously? Why would you voluntarily want to talk to my mom? I try to minimize how often I have to speak with her." She said as she hustled past me.

"Plus, you and I have a few things to talk about. It seems you've been having one too many conversations with my parents."

I moved in to put my arms around Christina, but she moved away from me. I followed her with my eyes as she scurried around the kitchen putting things away.

"I love your mom and your dad; they're nice and sweet to me. Why is this upsetting?"

"Have you been talking to them about the wedding?" she asked with her green eyes blazing.

"Yes, they called me to ask me a few things and I've been in touch with them. You're always busy, so when they couldn't reach you, they called me. Why do I sense you're mad at me for something?"

"Did you agree to have the wedding in my hometown?"

"Yes. They found a great place and asked if we would be okay with it and I said sure. It doesn't matter to me where we get married."

"And when were you going to tell me we're getting married in that god forsaken town that I grew up in?"

"I assumed your mom told you and you'd enjoy getting married in your hometown. Your hometown is cute, quaint, and picture perfect. I thought that's what every bride wants."

"You should have asked me before accepting. They've started planning for the wedding to be in New Hampshire. I don't want to get married there! I can't understand how you agreed to it! You could have talked to me about it!" she said in a screeching voice.

I took a deep breath. "First, it's nice your parents are helping us given that neither of us has much time, so having the wedding near them makes sense. When was I supposed to have this conversation with you? At 5am when you wake up or midnight when you're home from work?" I tried to keep calm.

"It's my wedding, I'm the bride, don't you consider I should have a say where I want to get married?"

"I thought it was our wedding and our families. Is it really the end of the world if we ask for your parents help and make it convenient for them? Do you really want to fight about this?"

"Why are you making me out to be the bad guy, when I'm supposed to be the bride? Remember it's supposed to be my day. You always turn things around Alex!"

"Fine. You don't want to get married in New Hampshire. Then where do you want to get married? Let's take next week off and we can scope out venues, caterers, and all the other stuff we need to figure out."