Chapter 32 - Missed Connections

Alex – Summer 2007

I paced my office while the kids watched TV downstairs. I felt guilty putting them in front of the television, but I had no other choice. Chris had forgotten to sign them up for a camp this week. At this late date all the camps were full. It was Wednesday, and this was the third day they were watching TV and playing video games. I could take a few hours off and do something with the kids. I was hitting a block with work, anyway.

I wondered if Anjali and her kids were free to meet. We hadn't seen them since school had ended. I missed seeing her every week. I wasn't sure how she'd feel about me calling when school was out. God, I wanted to see her, and I knew the kids could use the company.

I dialed her number before I changed my mind.

"Hello," she answered with static in the background.

"Hi Anjali, it's Alex. How are you?"

"I'm fine. Give me a sec. Let me find a quiet room and where the reception is better."

I waited as I heard a rustling in the background.

"There – I found a quiet place. Can you hear me?" Anjali asked.

"Perfectly. How's your summer going?"

"It's great. How's your summer going?" she asked back. Her voice sounded artificial.

"It's going okay. Listen, I was wondering if you and the kids are available to meet up? It would be great to get together if you're free."

"I would have loved to, and I know Karan and Vidya would appreciate the company but I'm in Chicago visiting my in-laws."

"Oh, I didn't know you were traveling. I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you on your vacation. I wouldn't have called if I had known you were visiting family."

"It's not a problem. I'm glad you called. I'll be back in two weeks. We can do a play date when I return."

"When are you back?" I asked desperately.

"At the end of July."

"We'll be in California; I'm taking the kids to hang out with my parents for two weeks," I said inwardly disappointed that there was no chance I'd be seeing Anjali soon.

"That's wonderful. I'm sure your parents will love that. And Jasper and Leah will enjoy being spoiled by their grandparents. It's good for them to spend time with family. When you return from California, we can get together."

"Yeah, let's meet before school starts. Are you having fun at least?"

"I've been to Chicago several times, so it's no longer new and exciting. I come so the kids can spend time with their grandparents."

"Take advantage of the grandparents and have them babysit while you and Raj go out on a date." I said as I tapped my pen on my desk.

"Can't do that. He's not here; he canceled at the last minute."

I tugged at my hair wishing I could see her face while we talked. "I know the feeling. Chris has a habit of doing that too. Guess it's a hazard of the profession."

"Yeah, I guess. It's better to assume they'll cancel and then be surprised if they don't rather than the other way around."

"Maybe he'll surprise you and show up for the last few days." I said hoping to make her feel better.

Anjali laughed bitterly. "Has that ever happened to you? Has Chris ever showed up after she canceled?"

I closed my eyes and pushed back in my chair. "No."

We were both silent. I had nothing to say to her, but I didn't want to hang up either. Someone yelled in the background and broke the silence between us.

"I have to go; my mother-in-law is calling me. Call me when you get back from California. Bye, Alex," Anjali whispered.

"Bye Anjali."