Skyline

Bunny was used to Grim stealing his things. When she grabbed his boomerang, he hadn't thought anything of it. When she'd dodged his attempt to snatch it back, though, he realized something was different.

"What're you doing, Grim?" he asked flatly, raising an eyebrow as she danced out of his reach.

"Catch me if you can," she teased, showing all her teeth in a flirtatious grin before darting off in a trail of black smoke.

Bunny wasn't used to Grim using his possessions as bait, but he was used to her games. Typically they weren't quite as literal as tag, but he wasn't exactly surprised to find himself running through a forest, chasing her laughter and the swish of her robes.

(It was fun, a small part of him admitted. It was fun, to chase and track her down. It must be fun. Why else would his heart pound so wildly, his blood run so hot? Why else would his ears be straining so intently for some clue as to where she was?)

Finally he found his boomerang lying in the middle of a clearing, the trees forming a nearly perfect circle around him as he went to pick it up. He smiled to himself- she was frustrating, inexplicable, and a bit of a pain at times, but for better or worse Grim was what she was, and he wouldn't wish her to change a bit.

(If only he could understand why she didn't want to be friends anymore. At times it seemed like she did, but then-)

Bunny noticed the glint of the scythe's blade a second before it buried itself in the ground where he had been standing.

"Feisty today, aren't we?" he commented dryly, looking over his shoulder at Grim.

She made no witty retort, gave no cocky smile. Instead, the scythe swung towards him again, this time at his neck. Bunny ducked, backing away as soon as the blade had passed him.

"Oi!" he shouted, letting his exasperation show clearly enough in his voice that he hoped it would cover the fear and confusion lurking there. "What's the bloody idea?!"

She grinned at him then, but it wasn't teasing, wasn't playful. It was the grin of a predator, a hunter, and he felt an old instinct rise up at the sight of it.

Danger afraid run hide

"Run," she crooned, the lines of her face harsh, her eyes hungry and a little bit cruel. "Run."

He stood his ground, and her expression tightened.

"Why'd you want me to run for?" he asked irritatedly, trying to will his heart to slow.

She pounced then, knocked him onto his back, and he immediately put his arms up to protect his throat.

Grim didn't try to strangle him this time. Instead, she put a hand to each of his shoulders and set her face close

(too close)

to his, letting him feel the chill of her breath.

"Don't run, then," she snarled.

I could probably overpower her, Bunny thought. I could probably push her off and run while she was off-balance. I could fight. I can't die, so I should be able to fight her.

So why aren't I?

"Is this what you wanted, then?" she growled.

(I'm afraid, Bunny thought. He must be afraid. Why else would his heart feel like it was threatening to burst from his chest? Why else would he be so aware of the glint of her teeth, the grip of her fingers?)

"You chased me," she whispered, her eyes burning. "You caught me. Now you have me, and I have you." She punctuated the last statement by releasing one of his shoulders, walking her fingers up his arm, across his chest, up his neck. She tapped his nose with a mock-playfulness, her chest quivering with rage.