Hiccups

Tooth hesitated, lifting her hand to knock, then stopping herself, hovering in front of the door. It was cracked open, just slightly, and she peeked inside.

Grim lay on the bed, her back to the entrance, and Tooth had full view of where the scars had been.

It was supposed to be a gift.

I'm didn't know.

I'm sorry.

Tooth covered her mouth, chest tightening, and she began to back away.

The Reaper stirred, and a weak voice issued from the bed.

"You can come in. It's not contagious."

Caught, Tooth sheepishly slipped inside, closing the door behind her.

"Hi Grim," she croaked.

"Hello there, Tooth darling. How are you? I'm in incredible pain, but let's not dwell on that. Would you mind coming over here? Feeling too lazy to turn over right now, I'm afraid."

Tooth obediently circled around to the other side of the bed. Grim smiled up at her with tired eyes, her expression fairly relaxed, with nary a hint of anger or accusation. Somehow that only made the fairy feel worse.

"It was a very nice thing you and Pookie tried to do for me, you know. I'm sorry it didn't turn out."

Tooth gripped the back of her neck nervously. "I'm sorr-"

"Ah-ah-ah! No apologies," Grim reprimanded. "I've already apologized. You're not allowed to feel guilty. Pass that on to Pookie, will you? No guilt allowed. If you let this eat you up I'll send Tosh after you with bear hugs."

Tooth smiled in spite of herself. "Tasha? Not North?"

"Believe me, dear. North's hugs might wind you for a bit, but Tosh's can break your spine. Mine are not empty threats."

Tooth began to laugh tremblingly, wiping her eyes. "How can you say that?"

"Because I've been hugged by both of them, and by my comparison-"

"How can you tell me not to feel guilty?" Tooth cried, tears streaming down her cheeks. "H-how can you lay there like that and not blame either of us for any of this? We did this to you!"

Grim jolted upwards briefly before wincing and collapsing back onto her side. "Don't you dare blame Pookie for this, darling. Don't blame yourself, either. You were trying to do something nice."

"And instead we d-did something hor-hor-horrible!" Tooth stammered between sobs, wrapping her arms around herself. "We...your b-back..."

"Please stop crying, sweetheart," Grim requested dryly. "You're going to give yourself hiccups."

Tooth sniffled and cleared her eyes of tears. "I-I just don't understand. You were so angry before."

Grim shifted, rolling onto her stomach while keeping eye contact with Tooth. "Before?"

"At me. At Bunny," she elaborated. "You were so angry, and that was when you didn't have a reason. Now it's like you don't care. I just...I don't understand."

Grim snorted. "Of course I care, darling. I think it's sweet."

"Sweet?"

"That you two did this for me," Grim answered, indicating her would-be wings. "It didn't turn out as you'd planned, but when does life ever? Every person I've ever cared about, that's ever cared for me, they've all hurt me in one way or another. It wasn't their fault- it's just part of being kind, of loving. You can't share a heart without it getting broken, love."

Tooth clasped her hands. "Th-that's- hic- that's so- hic- that's b-b-beauhic-"

"Oh, dear. You've gone and done it now, Tooth- you've given yourself hiccups with all that crying. Didn't I tell you so?"

The fairy laughed amidst her hiccups, and Grim smiled, the pain fading from her face for the briefest moment.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bunny entered the room quietly. Sandy waved at him from his seat at his sister's bedside. (She's sleeping now.)

"Okay," he whispered. "My turn for night watch, yeah? You go and spin your dreams."

Sandy nodded and drifted to the door. (Tasha's downstairs if you need anything,) he signed before slipping outside.

Bunny sat in the chair and sighed, hiding his face in his hands.

"I'm sorry, Grimace," he murmured.

"Oh, shut it, Pookie. S'not your fault."

Bunny blinked, lowering his hands incredulously. "When did you wake up?"

"When I heard a certain púca whinging about his nonexistent wrongdoing. Don't go moaning about your sins, darling- it's the equivalent of the chaplain giving confession to the prisoner."

Bunny squinted. "Wot?"

"You know, it's...a thing...because...choir...don't ask me to explain my logic, love, I'm half-asleep and my back aches. Look, point is, don't blame yourself. I'll send Tosh after you with hugs. Okay? Okay."

Grim closed her eyes. Bunny stared at her bemusedly for a moment before chuckling and kissing her forehead.

"Alright, Grimace," he said softly, pulling her blankets up to cover her front. "Whatever you say."

Grim opened one eye. "There, that wasn't so hard, was it?"

He rolled his eyes. "Go to sleep, you bloody menace."

"Can't be a bloody menace. Don't have any blood."

He yanked the top blanket over her head. "Good night, you little-"

"Nice words! Nice words! I'm convalescing, for goodness' sake."

Bunny sighed. "And you say I'm the incorrigible one."

She peeked out from the blanket and grinned. "Love you too, darling."