Chapter One-Updated

CHAPTER ONE

''Take the money and leave. And never breathe a word of this to anyone.''

Ella glanced from the woman to the brown envelope she'd so carelessly tossed across the huge rosewood desk. She bit her lips before her eyes met the woman's piercing ones.

Unbelievable.

Instead of feeling remorseful she's bribing her to stay quiet.

Doña Bianca sat back on her chair studying a speechless Ella with chocolate brown eyes underneath thick long lashes.

''Is the amount too small? I can double it if you want.'' she said oh so suavely.

Ella's lips tightened grimly in suppressed fury at the blatant insult, she had never been this furious with anyone her entire life and this woman was picking at every shred of bandage. Ella fisted her hands to her side stiffly, afraid that she might do something she'd regret if not for the rest of her life and Doña Bianca didn't look like she was one to let an insult go unpunished.

''I'm sorry madam but I did not come here to be insulted.'' Ella grated between clenched teeth.

''Oh! So what are you here for then?'' Doña Bianca tilted her head to the side,

''I am here to demand a compensation—''

''Demand?'' Doña Bianca thumped her fist gainst the rosewood desk, her eyes flashing with unadulterated fury. ''Who do you think you are to demand anything from me? That land wasn't yours to begin with and I will not stand for your impertinence.''

''My father nearly died! The least you could do is pay for his medical bills and I haven't even started on those poor people who've lost their loved ones.'' Ella blinked back as tears threatened to blind her.

''You common folks are so obstinate,'' Doña Bianca stated grinding her teeth. ''If only they had listened to me and taken the money I offered then things wouldn't have gone this far.''

''Are you kidding? You never negotiate you always take things by force.''

Doña Bianca got up from her chair and sauntered to a low table where she picked up a bottle of red wine and poured herself a sufficient amount; taking a sip before turning to face Ella again, this time she smirked. ''You're right, I underestimated you. You're smarter than I thought.''

''What compensation are you going to give to the family who lost their loved ones?'' Ella felt her chest become heavy; she'd marched to this grand house the same way she had when she heard that her home was being turned into a resort only to be dragged out by security. Here she was again without thinking.

She must've lost her mind.

After what had happened twenty hours ago she was prepared to give the tigress a piece of her mind; and now that she's here, she found herself chickening out and lacking the courage to vent.

It was as if the moment she'd stepped into the house, the woman's demons had subdued her. Her father was right; she was no match for this tycoon who had everything including the law wrapped around her fingers.

Ella pursed her lips; never in her life had she felt so helpless, so belittled, and so worthless.

Twenty hours ago, five people had lost their lives because they were fighting for their rights and their homes.

''What do you think I am, a charity organization?''

Kids are left without their parents and this is what she could afford to say? The uprising started after her workers had begun to demolish the shanties at the dumpsite without a forewarning. That land belonged to the people and not just an organization like skyline hotels, the least she could have done was issue out a forewarning but she couldn't even offer them such courtesy. ''Everything that happened was your fault Doña Bianca and you know it, but your money isn't going to bring back the dead but at least it'll sustain the living and help them get back on their feet.''