Chapter 4

I think about what Gale said.
You're made from the Capital. That's all you'll ever be. You mean nothing to me. But that was all a lie. He came over to my house and acted as if nothing had ever happened. His love for me might be gone, but our friendship still lasts.
He wasn't over for very long. He opened the door and ran into the kitchen.
"Katniss!"
I ran into the kitchen. "What? Is something wrong?" He looked at me and shook his head.
"T-the hob.." he gasped for breath. How far had he ran?
"It's on fire...." I was shocked. The hob? Who would do this? It had to be an accident. "How?" I sounded scared, not shocked.
"I think the peacekeepers set it on fire, they must've found out about it."
Snow. He did this.
"Katniss, we have to go. Now." I nod. I grab my jacket and we run down the street.
• • •
Smoke was every where. The whole hob was in fire. A few dead were lying near the burning building. No no no no. No one could die. Not again. I began to cough. Gale. Where was Gale? Had i lost him? Everything was spinning. Someone grabbed my hand and I looked up. I hadn't lost Gale. He drags me deeper into the smoke, it only lasted a few second but it could've been a lifetime. There was still smoke but not as much on the other side. People were crying and those who were burned where being taken cared of. Then I spotted a man in a white suit and helmet. Anger grew inside me. How could they do this? Killing innocent people. I couldn't contain my anger, it was too hot. The anger moved to my throat and grew into a scream.
"You!" I ran towards him and grabbed a hold of him. "How could you do this?"
I tried to grab a hold on his throat but his helmet was in the way. He got me off of him, and the next thing I knew his fist met my cheek. I stumbled backward. I touched my cheek. The anger grew.
I ran at him but he punched me again. Pushing me on the ground, he aimed his gun at me. Shoot me, rang through my head, Just shoot me. I could see his finger starting to curl around the trigger but then someone ran in the way.
A boy with blonde hair. Peeta. Peeta no, just let him shoot me. I looked around and everyone was staring.
"Move," said the peacekeeper. "or die with her."
"Do you know who we are?," Peeta asked. What a stupid question, everyone knows us.
"Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark, ring a bell?" Peeta maintained eye contact. "I don't care who you are, she tried to kill me."
"Now, what would President Snow say? It would be a shame if he found out that you killed his two favorite tributes. Now wouldn't it?" The peacekeeper said nothing. His gun was still pointed at Peeta.
Get out of here Peeta, can't you see that he'll kill you no matter what?
"I say you should just put away the gun, and we can act as if nothing happened. Snow wouldn't find out." as if by magic, Peseta's words hypnotized the peacekeeper. He lowered his gun.
"Fine, but next time I won't be as kind about it." the peacekeeper walked away cautiously. Peeta turned around and helped me up.
"You okay?" I nodded. Okay. I was okay.
But what was okay anymore?
"Come on, let's get you home." he kissed my cheek. Why did he kiss me? I looked around and everyone was still staring.
Oh. Right, the act. But it wasn't an act anymore, was it? Then I notice who isn't there.
Gale.