Chapter 23

A cannon went off when I reached Peeta. Finnick was on the ground, barely breathing. A bullet wound had found its way into his stomach. If Beetee and Johanna were dead, then the only other person who could have done this was Snow. The roar got louder and I looked up.
The hovercraft came back around. Bullets were flying and landing in the pavement, bringing up dirt and dust. I hardly noticed Peeta grabbing my arm and yanking me backward. He dragged me towards the nearest building and opened the glass door.
"Hurry!" He screamed.
He pushed me through the door. When the first bullet hit the window I ducked under a table. Peeta knelt down next to me. Why did he save me? Then I notice a trail of blood running down Peeta's arm.
"Peeta..."
He looked down.
"I'm fine, did you get hit?"
I shake my head.

The hovercrafts left after three hours of shooting. I fell asleep while Peeta rummaged through the empty building for food. I have this feeling that what Peeta said about hating me, might not be true. He may not love me, but he can't hate me, can he? I may never know the truth, but all I know is that Peeta isn't the same boy who gave a starving girl bread. I'm not the same. I'm not the same girl who saved her sister, the girl who stayed with little Rue until her last breath. I'm a puppet, doing what I'm suppose to do instead of doing things my way. I don't control my life anymore.
I don't think I ever did.