Chapter 27

I couldn't think. I didn't have time to. When I saw the first Peacekeeper I shot him right in the chest.
That's when gunshots went off.
Pain burst through my chest, I looked down and blood seeped through my chest.
I feel to the ground and just looked up.
It was hard to breathe.
To think.
It hurt so bad.
I wanted to close my eyes, but I didn't. There was yelling, but I couldn't make it out.
I couldn't breathe, it was almost as if the air was draining out of my lungs. Like my body was turning my lungs off.
I couldn't feel anything anymore.
The pain had numbed my body.
I felt light, almost like a small breeze could send me flying, like I could fly.
Almost like a bird.
I think of Prim, and my mother.
And Gale.
I don't want to leave them.
They can take care of themselves, they're brave.
It wasn't my own thought, it was a male.
It was my father. I know he's right. He's right.
They're brave.
I closed my eyes.

• • •

Death isn't like what you would think it would be. It was like a dream. Closing your eyes and your mind drifting off. I wouldn't say it's peaceful, but it's not painful like you would think. Seeing my father and friends again, reminds me of Prim and my mother. I know they can care for themselves, I just wanted to believe that they had to rely on me.
But they didn't, not completely anyways.
I want to be free, and I can believe I am now.
Freedom has a meaning again.
And I am free.