Chapter One

*Avery*

"Behind those doors is the key to our popularity, Avery." Bryn said, confidently. Adjusting her blue dress that mind as well be a shirt.
At least she's wearing leggings under.

I don't understand why she cares about being popular anyway. It our senior year, we should be focusing on our school work than a group of people liking us.

"It's just a party Bryn, just like any other one."

She scowled at me like I just stepped on her heels.

Since Bryn got invited to the party a few days ago. She wanted me to go with her. I agreed.

Being the best friend that I am, I wasn't going to allow Bryn to go alone. Though she probably wouldn't have listen to me anyway... Still I don't trust whats behind those doors.

Bryn rang the door bell. "What I don't understand, is why your wearing jeans and v-neck." She tilt her head. "Well it's not that bad I mean your at least showing some cleavage-"

"Stop it!" I whispered. As the door opened.

Megan appeared." Hey Bryn!! Thanks for coming!" She said, while giving a quick hug.

"No problem." Bryn all smiles.

Megan looked at me. "I see you bought a guest."
Is she serious? We've had a least one class together, every year since the seventh grade. I almost laughed.

"Yes, this is my best friend Avery." She replied all nervous. I gave Bryn a look that read. She isn't God. Though she just shrugged her shoulders at me.

"All right, I guess I can squeeze another through." She said, bitterly. She held the door open for us to enter.

As myself and Bryn walked through, I notice the obvious that surrounds us.

Were the only black people here.

______________________________________

*Caleb*

"Hannah I can't do this." I tell her, while pulling her off my torso.

"Why not?" Hearing irritation in her voice.

I rolled my eyes, getting off the bed. I don't need to explain anything to her. I barely know her. Just a chick I've met tonight.

"Caleb.." She called after me. I shake my head, leaving out of the room.

The party sounds in motion as I descend from the stairway to the living room. I need to find Zack so we can get the hell out of here. I'm his ride. Though I will leave his ass if I can't find him.

"Megan, have you seen Zack?" Shouting over the music.  She looks burnt.

"I think he's in the basement." Giggling as she talks. Pointing in the direction of the basement door.

I nodded. Walking towards the door, opening it as I enter. Stepping down a few steps to see only a female.

"Don't close the-"  she yelled. As the door shut behind me.

"..door." 

I walked back up to jiggle the handle, though the knob wasn't opening. "Damn it." I said underneath my breath.

"Thanks a lot genius." I turned to the unfamiliar voice. Stands a female of brown skin, with an attitude. She walked up towards me, leaving a few feet between us.

"Why are you staring at me?"

"Sorry, I was just.... thinking." Suddenly a loud crash came from behind the door.

"What was that?" Aiming towards the door, brushing pass me. "Maybe someone's near."   She knocks on the door as loud as she could with a bit of shouting.

Soon I started to get a headache.

"Hey, calm down. No one can here you. We need to find another way." Grabbing both her arms so she's at my full attention.

She jerks away from me. "I don't even know you."

Why do I even bother if she's keep giving me a hard time. I signed.

"We both want out of this, right? So by that, we need to work together."  I held out my hand. "Caleb."

She stared at my hand with hesitation and looked at me.

"Avery."

I put my hand down.  "How did you get lock in here?" Feeling disappointed that she didn't shake it.

"I was looking for my friend. Since we came here together, I wanted to tell her that I was ready to leave. I saw her with a guy with blonde hair. And I thought she came in here but..." She folded her arms. "Obviously she not here."

Was her friend with Zack?

"Did he wear glasses?"

"Yeah, he was about your height too." Yeah it may have been him. But also it could be anybody at this party.

Another loud crash came through, louder than before, making Avery jump."What is going on up there?"

I walked down the steps, looking for anything to get us out. In the corner of the room, a window with dust  around it, being at ground level on the outside. Though from the looks of it, it hasn't been open in ages. And it's the only window in here.

"Ummm... Caleb." Her soft voice mumbles in my ear. I turned as she pointed back up to the door. At the bottom of the cracks, smoke became visible.

"Find something to brake to window. We don't have much time!" My voice became harsh, trying to open up the window.

She passed me a rusted bat. "Here!" She said, while coughing.

The smoke grows more rapidly.

I hit the window hard, repeatedly till it shattered. Leaving  enough room to crawl out.

The feeling of smoke in my lungs, making it hard to breathe.

"Avery.. Come on." I said, in between coughs. Trying to cover my nose.

She lying on the floor not responding. Nooo!!!!

I lift her up, putting her arm over my shoulder, pushing her out the window onto the soft grass. I pushed myself  out the window feeling nothing but hot air.

I lift her back up in my arms, heading towards my truck. Not looking back.