Chapter Two

*Avery*

"Avery...." Hearing a mumbling voice, I open my eyes.

I found myself laying in a small bed. The room had wooden walls with only a little bed, chair,and a lamp in the corner, brightening. Enough to see Caleb starring at me.

"Are you okay?" His voice is low and husky. 

I toss a quilt off my body. Sitting myself up. "Yeah, where am I?"

"In my shack, behind my house."

"What happened last night?" I say, with a yawn.

"Fire broke out."

"Is anyone hurt? Have you heard from Zach, Megan, or even Bryn ? Are they okay?"

"I don't know. Haven't heard anything from anyone." The room was quiet. Caleb seems a bit tense, of what to say.

"You passed out in the basement..... I wasn't sure if I'd should of taken you to the hospital, but then they would of been asking questions of your being. And I would of had to call my parents. Their out of town."

He didn't wait for a response, just continues. "You're still breathing, so I brought you here. And waited till you woken up."

"You didn't sleep?" He shook his head. Wow, he did all of this to make sure I was okay. He saved my life, after I was a bit rude to him. I give him my full respect.

"I should get home." Knowing my parents are going to go crazy for me not being back.

Seeing the tiredness from Caleb's body language, worries me. "You should get some rest."

"I'm fine." He stood up from the chair. "I can take you to your house."

"Okay." And we leave out of the shack. I follow him to his truck. Seating in the passenger seat as he drove. I give him directions of where to turn.

In the morning of darkness, leaves me nervous. This part of town I live in isn't much a go walk at the park. More like: Be alert!! Anything could happen at all times.

I watch out the window as he pulls up to a brick house. With no car parked in the driveway. That's odd.

He turns off the ignition. Hearing clearing of dogs barking in the distance.

"I don't think anyone's home." He says, dryly.

"One of my parents are usually home."

I gather my thoughts.

"Thank you for...saving me."

He doesn't respond, just look forward outside the wind shield.

What is he thinking? Maybe he's just tired. Maybe he's in deep thought again. Probably not a morning person.
Just get out.

I get out the truck, closing it behind. Taking my house key out my pocket. I hear the truck, starting back up again. I unlock the door, walking inside.

Seeing the face of my parents and Bryn, standing before me.

________________________________________

*Caleb*

I continue driving back to my house. My head is pounding, for me to get some sleep. But I can't keep my mind off of last night.
Out of all the people there, they only saved themselves. Didn't even open the door for us in the basement. Left us stranded, to die.

But I can't say that.

Maybe they thought by opening the door that the fire would of came in the basement, from the oxygen being released.

Hell, I don't know.

Though I do know that it's good that Avery is safe now and alive. I don't like the fact that she thanked me. I'm no hero.

I reach my house, parking in the garage. And heading upstairs to retrieve my phone from the charger. Right where I left it, last night. Most likely fully charged.

I pick it up, flicking the unlock button. Seeing three voicemails from Zack.

I click the button.

_________________________________________

*Avery*

"Where have you been? We've been trying to call you. Your not answering you phone! Staying out pass curfew!!"

My mother ranted, though dad just gave me a look of being pissed.

What goes through my mind, is what Bryn must have told my parents. Or what she hasn't told them.

"Wait!" We all looked at her. "I know I haven't told you both, my purpose of being here. But something very serious happened last night, that I wanted to wait till Avery showed. Even if it tooked all day. "

I sat on the nearest couch, wanting to hear her story. And she beginned.

But then again, she doesn't need to tell them about us going to a party.  She's going to.
Fuck.

"Last night over the house we attended, a fire broke out. People scattered out the house pushing me with them. Someone shouted out that someone was still in there. I couldnt find Avery, so I called her phone. She didn't pick up. So I freaked out." She pause.

"The fire department came, after Megan called them crying. I also had to call my parents."

"How did you know I would come back?"

I ask.

"Megan was on the phone with some guy name Caleb and said he got you out. She also asked about Zack."

"Wait he wasn't with you?"

"A few minutes after we gotten there, but after no. He's actually...." Her voice started to crack.

"He's actually, what?" I ask, my voice getting tense.

"He's actually was the one still in the house."