Chapter Nine

*Avery*

"I'll be in there in a few." Caleb says, reaching in his pocket. Taking out his phone. Pressing something into it. "Here."

"Why are you giving me your phone?" He hands it to me. I plant it in my small black satchel purse.

"Just in case you may need it. I'll be in there in a few, I....just left something very important I need to take in, in...my truck. For the... you know the funeral." He says, oddly. I look at him, though he kept his face plain. I shrug, walking in the church.

The place is pack full of people wearing all black. Filling the air with sobs, whimpering, and grieving. Feeling like the outsider that I am, I sit in the second last row to the back of the church. Sitting next to a silver hair lady, crying. I sign.

In the very front center, I see a caskette closed. With flowers laid on top of it.

The service begin with hymns, and a paster spoke. But I became drown in my thoughts. where is he? I'm pretty sure it doesn't take long to grab what you need from your vehicle. And why would he give me his phone? Maybe he lied? Most likely, but what about? He must not be telling me something. I shake my head.

"Amen." The crowd says together, standing up, then sits back down in theirs seats. How rude of me. Everyone's attention focus on a man walking to the front podium. He speaks, "Thank you everyone for coming on this beautiful Sunday afternoon. Of the rememberance of Zack Bolden also him being my son. He brought greatness in each of our lives. And today were gathered here to share the great memories we have of...."  He cries quietly.

 I get up feeling impatient of Caleb presence not being.  I mean he did invite me to this funeral and he's not here. I don't know anyone.  Pushing open the close front door, I walk to his truck not seeing him. Where is he?

"Avery." A voice comes far behind. I turn around seeing Megan crouched down on the side of the chruch. I walk over to her. "What are you doing?" She pulls me down making me crouch with her.

"Trying not to be seen." she whispers. Pointing to the window above us.

"What's going on?" I whisper back.

"Follow me." she ducks-down walking towards the back of the chruch. I follow behind and she stands fully. "I seen Caleb walk in here." She says, as we stand in front a old-wooden door. "I crouch because I didn't want anyone seeing us."

"Do you know what's behind there?" I ask.

"No, we can go see to find out." She opens the door slowing, and we walk in. i close the door behind. A spaceless hallway before us, with steps leading down. I walk down quietly, holding on to the wall for support.

"Why are you doing this?" A husky voice groans. Is that Caleb?  I listen, pressing my ear against a wall.

"Are you seriously asking me this? After all you and Zack put me through!" I hear Hannah yell.

"Us." Bryn voice echo's.

"She should kill you right now, but I rather just let you suffer." She continues.

Caleb yells, then a loud boom sound fills the air. Making me jump. A gun!! I have to help him. But a gun?  In a church basement? So disrespectful. I feel a grab on my shoulder.

"What are doing?" I whisper, trying to jerk away from Megan, she kept pulling. Revealing me in front of them. Crap.

Their eyes fell upon us, as I see Hannah holding a pistol. Caleb laying on the ground,  and Bryn helds a face full of anger.