four || a bad day

"Every day is a new beginning."

- unknown

Amelia's POV

It has been two days since my hospital visit. I still haven't decided what to do, if I need to get an abortion then I need to decide quickly. But I still couldn't figure it out, should I tell him or not?

After all, it's his baby also. He has the right to know. If he doesn't want the baby, then the abortion won't matter to him. But if he does want the baby, then it'd be different. I'd also feel guilty for hiding it from him.

Why is my life so messed up?

Even at the office, Mrs. Pallis was torturing me by giving me those extra workloads. I mean, I'm not the only one in the office. But then why am I only working overtime? I need to finish my work also. Argh!

Ever since my direct supervisor Mr. Carter took leave, my life becomes more miserable than before. At least, he didn't make me work like Mrs. Pallis.

Even though he was kind and nice to me, now since he wasn't here so I have to handle his work as well. But still, this is too much. It's like working with Mrs. Pallis is the hardest thing ever I did.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard the sound of the intercom. I huffed and quickly got up to face the dictator before she gets a chance to scold me for being late.

I knocked on the glass door before entering. She was typing something on her computer furiously. Seeing me, she stopped typing and took out a file, and forwarded it to me.

"Ms. Dawson, those are the contract papers of ER Textile. You need to get the sign of Mr. Cartwright on them so that we can send them to HR," Mrs. Pallis instructed me while giving me the file, "Although I don't believe that you're capable handle Mr. Carter's work I don't have any other choice until he returns. So, don't make any mistakes."

I gave her a small smile and nod my head, "I will do my best, Mrs. Pallis."

"You may leave!" she ordered in a strict voice. I nod my head and was about to walk out when she called me again, I turned towards her, "Yes."

"You have to submit those papers by today. So, make sure to get Mr. Cartwright's sign on them by today only." She informed me.

"Today?"

"Yes, today. Is there any problem?" she narrowed her eyes at me, I nod my head in no and walked out of the room quickly.

Although I love my job and my workplace, I don't like Mrs. Pallis at all. Even though she doesn't like me and she never failed to express it.

Don't know what's her problem with me.

It's good that I don't work directly under her or I would have killed her by now. I let out a frustrated sigh and walked towards the elevator. It's good that I work under Mr. Carter. I don't know if he tolerates her, her one look was enough to give me goosebumps.

I quickly brushed all those thoughts from my head. I need to concentrate on my work.

---//----//---

"What? He already left! But why? And when will he return?" I asked frantically.

This day can't go worse. Mrs. Pallis will kill me for sure if I don't get Mr. Cartwright's signature on them.

Now, what will I do?

"Today he is having lunch with his family, that's why he left early and he said he will not be back for today," Celia, Mr. Cartwright's secretary informed me, "But why are asking about him? Do you have any work with him?"

"I have to get his signature on those files by today or Mrs. Pallis kill me for sure. She already hates me." I replied sighing defeatedly.

She looked at me worriedly and then said, "Why don't you go to his house then?"

"His house?"

"Yeah, he will be there after lunch. I can give you his address and will let him know that you're going there for work." Celia suggested. I thought over her suggestion and then nod my head in agreement.

Somehow I have to get his signature on those papers or else --- I can't let Mrs. Pallis pinpoint her fingers at me.

---//----//---

I looked at the address which Celia messaged me then looked at the house in front of me. I gulped my saliva seeing the house in front of me.

This is not a house but a freakin' mansion. How could Celia call it a house? From what I heard, Mr. Cartwright lives with his parents. He just returned from Paris a few months ago. He had been living abroad for years, that's why his parents requested him to stay with them for a while.

But why am I thinking about all this? It doesn't matter to me what he does.

Brushing all the thoughts from my head, I walked ahead. The guard comes out to see me.

"I'm here to meet Mr. Cartwright. I need to get his signature on those files," I said showing the files to him, "I work in his company only."

The guard looked at me or better - inspected me from top to bottom. This is so bad... really bad. I don't like people staring at me.

I gave him a small nervous smile. He smiled and said, "But Mr. Cartwright hasn't come yet. So, we can't let you go inside without his permission."

"Oh! Then why don't you call him and confirm him?" The guard nod his head and went to call. I stood outside the gate and watched as he picked up the phone. After a few minutes, he came out.

"I'm sorry but he's not picking up his phone. So, we can't let you go in without his permission as he clearly instructed us not to let any stranger go inside in his absence." The guard explained. I nod my head in understanding.

I looked at the files which I was holding. I can't go without signing them. Look like I have to wait here only.

This day is going to be harder than I thought.