𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

⛤⛤⛤

Before my mother left for work, she dropped another few bucks on the table and sent me off to buy a fish from the pier. She said she felt bad for the way she'd been acting lately and wanted to have dinner tonight. I understood. To be fair, it had been quite a while since we'd eaten together.

Alan and Mary were standing before the table. Peter told Mary she could go look at the boats. When she turned around, she waved at me.

"Hey, Y/n!" she said, smiling. I waved back.

"Hi, Mary."

She brought her voice down low. I leaned closer so I could hear. 

"How are you and Peter?" A smirk rose to her face. I felt my neck get hot. Well, to be honest, I didn't really know. Sure, I had kissed him. And sure, we weren't acting like just friends did. But I didn't know what any of it meant.

"We're okay," I said, hoping that was enough to get my point across. Maybe she saw the red in my face. Mary smiled and started, once again, walking towards the large fishing boats that lined the pier. I watched her go.

"You bought a fucking car."

I shake my head, looking at Peter. Alan had a car? When did that happen? I thought back to the coins. Did Alan use them? I then thought of my mother. What if, somehow, she was starting to piece everything together?

Peter dropped a fish onto the paper and wrapped it up, handing it to his older brother. I stood, silently, watching the aggressive interaction.

"Five dollars."

"Oh, come on," Alan complained. He made another comment that I didn't hear. He looked to his side and saw me standing there.

"Five dollars," Peter repeated, tapping on the tackle box that was used for cash. Alan scoffed and took out his wallet, slipping a five into Peters' gloved hand. I kept waiting, patiently. Alan stalked off.

"Hey," he said. I pursed my lips. I didn't like seeing Peter angry. It kind of made me sad; it was so unlike him. He looked at me funny. I tried to hide my face.

"Are you okay?" he asked, rounding the table. I shrugged.

"I just don't like seeing you mad," I mumbled, pulling the cash out of my back pocket. He shook his head.

"Don't worry about it," he said, carefully wrapping a fish up in paper. I laughed to myself. He took much more care with this one than Alan's. I slipped the bill back into my pocket and took the fish from him. He looked like he was going to say something, so I waited. But, nothing came. I rounded the table, and despite the heat and his uniform, I gave him a quick hug.

"You'll get fish water on your shirt," he commented. I shrugged.

"I have a washing machine."

⛤⛤⛤

I pushed open the door and stepped inside. Mom wasn't home yet. I didn't know when she got off. I think around five or so. That was fine. More time to read.

I curled up on the porch swing with a different book this time. I finished The Giver a few nights ago. Now, I would just be waiting for Mom to arrive home. I wondered what exactly she had planned for dinner. It'd been so long since we'd even eaten around the same time. I couldn't tell if I was nervous or excited. Mom made me uneasy lately.

⛤⛤⛤