𝒅𝒂𝒕𝒆

I remade the old outfit, hope you guys like it! Obviously, it's not set in stone, just an idea and it goes along with the description in the chapter.

⛤⛤⛤

Though I'd only met Mary a few times, she seemed very sweet. I skimmed through the phonebook and dialed her phone. It rang only once.

"Hello?" She asked. I played with the phone cord, trying to think of how I'd ask her to help me get ready. I wasn't much of a girls girl. I wasn't one to get ready with my friends for boring school dances or host a 7-guest sleepover. I was never that social.

"Hey, Mary," I started. She excitedly spoke again.

"Oh, Y/n! Hey, what's up?" She asked me, a light laugh reaching through the phone. I looked up in thought.

"Uh, well, Peter kind of asked me out, and I was wondering if you could help me get ready. This isn't really something I've done before," I told her. I wasn't lying. I'd never been on a date. I'd never gone out and done something like this.

"Of course! I'll be right there!"

I grinned and said thank you before putting the phone back. My mom knocked on my door shortly after. I opened it. She was ready for work.

"I'll see you later," she said, waving lazily. I nodded and watched her sleepily walk down the stairs. She must have woken up late and rushed. She did that quite often. Not that it bothered me, any. I just hated to see her struggle like she had been.

⛤⛤⛤

The doorbell rang loudly. I sprang up from my spot on the couch, my book falling to the floor. I didn't bother picking it up.

Mary stood on my porch with a bag in her hand. I motioned for her to come in and upstairs, where we would pick out clothes and such for me to wear. She sat down on my bed and emptied her bag. A few various cosmetics fell out, as well as an article of clothing or two.

"Alright, I brought you some nice stuff to try on, but if you have anything, I wanna see!" She said excitedly. I glanced down at the makeup on my bed. I'd never worn any before. Mary held up some stuff, and yeah, they were nice, but not my first choice. I walked over to my dresser. In the bottom drawer was a bunch of clothes that a cousin bought me one time when she visited.

Mary rummaged through the pile, a smirk forming on her face. She held up a white sundress. It was nice and uncomplicated. I think I'd be okay with that.

"Look! It's plain and simple, which seems to be your speed. I think this will look really nice on you," she said, tossing it to me. I nodded and stepped into the bathroom to change. She was right. I did kind of look nice. Pretty, even. This was new.

I drew the line when she tried to get me to wear heels. Like she said, plain and simple was my speed. I slipped on the same (relatively clean) red Converse that I wore all the time. I needed to keep my flair, you know?

"Do you wanna try some makeup? Something casual, of course," she asked, holding up a palette of various shades of brown. I think I could manage. I sat down beside her as she carefully swirled a fluffy brush on one of the colors. I shut my eyes tightly as she brought the brush up to my face.

"Don't squint! You'll get lines," she laughed. I relaxed my eyes and the brush flickered over my eyelid. It felt weird. When she pulled the brush away, I opened my eyes and looked into the little compact she held in her palm. It was a really subtle look, but I definitely looked a little different.

Mary opened a tube of mascara. It looked expensive. I held my eyes open, trying not to blink. She looked so focused. She drew her hand away. Once more, I looked into the compact. Different.

"Okay, will you try lipstick?" she asked. I shook my head. No. Way.

"Lip gloss?"

I shook my head again. She let out a playful sigh.

"Chapstick?"

I nodded, giggling. Mary handed me a tube. I looked at the clock. I had half an hour.

"There we go. I think a necklace would look perfect with this! And maybe some small earrings," she suggested. I walked over to my jewelry box. She followed. I felt comfortable with her. She was chill. And funny.

"Here," she held up a short silver necklace with pearls. She also dropped a pair of small star-shaped studs into my open hand. Now I felt ready. I hope I'm not overdressed.

"Good luck!" Mary called down the sidewalk. She turned down the other street, and I was left alone. The theater wasn't too far from my house. But, come to think of it, I didn't know what movie we were going to see. I guess I'd find out when we got there.

Peter was sitting down on a bench just outside the entrance. He stood when he saw me coming. He wore clean-cut jeans and a flannel, which I'd never seen him wear. I smiled from across the sidewalk. He looked so well put together.

"Hey," I said. He smiled and held out a ticket.

"You look really p-pretty," he stuttered out. I laughed quietly and took his hand.

⛤⛤⛤