𝐞𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

⛤⛤⛤

It's been about two weeks since the incident. I'm sitting in the kitchen, watching Mom crack eggs and drop them into a bowl. She is making my birthday cake. I don't really remember the last time I had a cake.

"Hey, Y/n?"

I look up. Mom is holding a rubber spatula, her ponytail messy and a half smile on her face.

"Do you mind cutting some strawberries?" She asks. I nod happily.

"Sure," I say, standing up. She grabs me a knife and a cutting board while I search for strawberries in the fridge.

I pull out the plastic box and open it, rinsing the fruit under cold water. Mom continues adding the ingredients, stepping from side to side to look from the recipe book to the cake mix.

I begin to cut the strawberries one by one, setting the leaves aside for composting.

"Hey, how do you want these cut?" I ask, turning to look at her. She's whistling quietly to herself.

"Quarters is fine," she says flipping the page in her book. I nod, and keep on cutting.

The window is open. I can hear cars passing and seagulls flying overhead. One lands on the sidewalk and grabs a stray French fry.

I look back down at my cutting board. Mom is pouring the batter into a pan. The oven beeps, letting us know it's up to temp. She slides the pan onto the rack.

"Alright, I'm gonna go grab a quick shower while this bakes," she tells me. "Whan you're done cutting those, just put them in a bowl in the fridge."

I nod and watch her go upstairs, pulling the hair tie out of her hair. Her dark curls fall over her shoulders.

I scoop the chunks of strawberries into a bowl like she said and place it on the top shelf of the fridge. I rinse off my knife and cutting board, sliding the leaves into the compost bin, and put the cutting board in the sink.

Just before I can sit back down and continue reading, the doorbell rings. I furrow my brows. Who could that be?

Upon opening the door, I see Peter standing in my driveway, his hands resting on the handlebars of a blue cruiser. I smile.

"Hey," he says coolly. I shut the door and skip over to him.

"Hey."

I get a closer look at Peter. He finally took the patch off. There's a light pink scar just under his eye. I smile at him.

"You, uh, I remember you said you wanted a new bike. So, happy birthday," he says, smiling. I take the handlebars from his hands and bring it up to the garage, where I lift the sliding door.

"Thank you, Peter," I say, dropping the kickstand. He's standing by awkwardly in the driveway. I step back outside and close the garage.

"Hey, do you wanna come in? My mom is making a cake. I would love to celebrate with you," I said. He nods happily, leaning down and giving me a light peck on my lips.

I lead him inside to the kitchen, where my mom is taking care of the cake. She turns around and smiles.

"Hi, Peter," she says, waving. "You're just in time. Well have the cake ready soon."

⛤⛤⛤

I blow out the candles, watching the smoke disappear into the air. My mom takes a photo of Peter and I, the flash of the Polaroid lighting up the room.

"You two go hang out, talk, whatever. I'll clean up down here," she says, smiling at us, reaching over to cut our slices. Peter and I head up to my room, where we sit on the floor with our plates in our lap.

Peter reaches over and places his hand on the side of my face. I look at him, smiling. Our foreheads press together, I can feel his breath fanning on my upper lip.

He brings our lips together, shutting his eyes. I run a hand through his messy hair. He smiles against the kiss.

We part, and his eyes fluttered open. We stay like that for a moment until one of us speaks.

"I love you, Peter," I say quietly. He smiles.

"I love you too, Y/n."

⛤⛤⛤

(Special thanks to ravenofdaw for helping me create this book!:P)