𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

⛤⛤⛤

𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒙𝒕 𝒅𝒂𝒚

"Shit."

The little boat was gone. Peter scans the water. Maybe there was some shadow and we just couldn't see it. Both of us looked around, but no luck. The boat was just plain gone. We exchanged a glance and turned the other way, breaking into a run towards the pier.

We come to a stop by where he works. The table was folded and leaning against a pole. The pier looked so strange without the stand. Peter paid no mind as he walked up to his crewmates.

"Hey, what's up?" The guy asks him. I glance at Peter as he speaks up.

"Hey, I need a ride now." 

The guy scoffs and looks at the boat, then back to Peter. I look down at my feet.

"Sorry, buddy, I'm working." Well, what now? I try and think of another way we could get there, but come back empty. I'm out of ideas. That is until Peter pulls a wad of cash out of his pocket and holds it out to him.

"Take a smoke break."

We hurry onto the white boat, and the peninsula quickly comes into view. I guess this was the adrenaline rush I was waiting for all summer. I look up at Peter, who is staring out at the water with a highly determined look on his face. I smile.

The boat slows to a stop. I step aside, ready to get out.

"I'm sorry, this is as far as we go," the driver starts, "low tide is coming in."

Peter nods, beginning to walk forward. He nudges an oar with his heel. He looks down, and I can tell he has an idea.

"Can I borrow this?" he asks. The other guy nods, and Peter starts walking again. He hops over the railing, moving quickly. I follow; he holds out a hand for me to take so I don't fall. The guys wave and wish us good luck.

𝑨𝒍𝒂𝒏

"You are free to go," The officer said. I looked at him, confused, and raised my eyebrows.

"W-what?" I ask. 

"The family just dropped the charges." Mary's family dropped the charges. He was kidding, right? I shook my head; I didn't believe him.

"That's it? I can just go?" 

He looked at me, an annoyed expression taking over. I looked down at my lap.

"Unless you'd like to stay," he replied. His voice was hoarse. I slowly stood up. The clock ticked the seconds, but it seemed like so much longer. I left the room, the officer still holding the door.

"Today's your lucky day," he began, "You should buy a lotto ticket." I nodded, still baffled, and continued down the narrow corridor and outside, ignoring the looks from officers I passed. 

As I stumble down the sidewalk, an angered Mary steps in front of me. I look at her strangely. Why were her movements so quick and feisty? She didn't even make eye contact.

"My dad thinks it was just a prank," she says. The atmosphere is thick. I cock my head to the side.

"I'm so sorry-" I start. She looks at me with her icy blue eyes. I glance at my feet and back at her.

"You know you're fucked up? You and your friends, clinically," she says. I nod.

"I know. I know I'm no good" And, while I think that was the end of the conversation, I find out that I am very wrong. I try to keep walking, but she won't move.

"Is this all part of the plan? You take the girl while your friends case the house?" She was being so serious. I felt so terrible. I didn't know how to tell her that I hadn't intended for this to happen. I didn't mean it, really. But there was no use in telling her. She wouldn't believe me.

"No, no that's not it at all," I tell her. 

"Was anything you said to me real? Is your name even Alan? Did your mother really die?"

Why would I lie about something like that? Of course, my mother really died. I knew I was a jerk sometimes, but that was low. I just shook my head.

"Did you ever like me or is that just an act?" Her voice falls. I stay silent, not knowing what to say or do. She looked at her feet before she spoke her final words to me.

"Goodbye, Alan." She walks off to the car. I stand there, staring at the sidewalk.

⛤⛤