Chapter 1 - The funeral

(Readers Pov)

A field of grey, a view of death... a mass grave is what others would call it, but it wasn't, no one was buried together, everyone had a tombstone, everyone had their own casket. The rain drowned out the cries of the broken-hearted. The sky a blanket of depression. The music nowhere near as loud as the shattering heart of the Piear children, a white church, sat in the middle of the graveyard, the one bit of colour. The rows and rows of people flooding and covering every bit of space that was offered. An ocean of black is what would be used to describe it. Before them all was a mahogany coffin, the top was missing but lying inside was a carefully placed body, a 48-year-old man, jet black hair, once fudge brown eyes now shut forever, a black suit, pale skin, lifeless. Harvey Piear, Widower, once a father of 15, a son, a brother, a husband, an uncle and someone who never left anyone behind, in front of him sat his 14 children. Gerald, Sebastian, Phil, Andrea, Giovanni, James, Tonino, Jacob, Dante, Max, Blair, Felix, Julian and his youngest and only daughter Grim Riley. A small photo sat next to her of one of the boys, yet he wasn't there. Noah Piear died at the age of 21. Her slightly wine tinged eyes filled to the brim with tears, her hair now cut to just under her shoulders, a black long sleeve top hugged tightly onto her arms, chest and torso, black jeans attached themselves to her legs, her hair straightened and tucked behind her ears, black leather boots hid her feet, a dress jacket sat on her knees. The look on her face told stories of her pain and depression, it painted a picture on the number of people she has lost over her entire existence. The emotion she only felt now was heartbreak, everything else was numb. A deep voice cut through the silence, the voice of her second father, Samuel.

"Harvey Lorenzo Piear, a man of his word, a man of honour"

The long lashes that framed her eyes gracefully shut; she was trying to be strong. She couldn't let weakness consume her like how her emotions did.

"We will now have a few words from his youngest child, Grim, darling" her eyes met his and he nodded slightly "If you are wanting too..."

"I'll do it..." a small sniff interrupted her sentence "I can do it... thank you, Sammy..."

The room fell to a deadly silence, she rose to her feet and slowly wandered up the front. Her eyes scanned the room, the black eyeshadow covered her lids, black lipstick stained her lips. A pair of chocolate brown eyes caught hers and memories vividly filled her head.

Flashback

"THOMAS, HE'S NOT DEAD!"

"GRIM PLEASE NOT NOW!"

"WHAT DID I EVER DO TO YOU?!"

"WELL BESIDES LIED TO ME ABOUT WHO YOU ARE, YOU'RE ALSO THE CAUSE OF HIS DEATH!"

"I know... Do you think I don't know I am the cause of his death?! He would be here if I died that night when Rebecca tried to shoot me!"

Her eyes were drying up, she's cried too much to let anything else out. The words he used cut her deep down, they will never heal, if they did... they would scar... badly. The sirens started closing in, help would be here soon.

"Grim, you lied to me..."

"About me being Harvey's daughter?"

"Yes!"

"I had to!" her voice started breaking and only louder "I couldn't let you be another target!"

"How!?"

"Because everyone who knows I'm a Piear has died! I did this to protect you! I also had to follow my father's orders!"

"WHY DO YOU NEED TO PROTECT ME!?"