Chapter 3 - Her little family

The smell of rain falling on the hot concrete flooded the air drowning out the smell of the freshly made pastries and coffee, the black nylon umbrella hid the face of someone who did not want to be found, her short brown hair was pushed behind her shoulders, her burgundy eyes framed within long black eyelashes, a black rain jacket covered her body, the sound of black heeled leather boots, her mouth tucked behind her red scarf. She stopped at the crossing and waited for the lights to change, she continued her path back to her destination, she stopped outside a small building and pushed it open, the warmth flushed out the cold air and the smell of cakes wafted throughout the air.

"Bonjour Grim!"

"Hello Vinny, can I have the usual please?"

"Of course, dear"

Vinny's long auburn hair quickly disappeared behind the corner and Grim made her way to her window seat, after she ran away she moved to Paris, she doesn't know why she chose Paris but she has enjoyed it much more then home, her life had become much more relaxed, a male joined her and smiled, his voice was the sound of liquid gold, his English was good but he had a slight hint of french in there

"Salut darling"

"Salut Marius"

"How are you doing today?"

"It could be better, but I'm not complaining"

Marius Voison, Jaq's half brother and Grim's boyfriend, his curly copper brown coloured hair rested upon his face of freckles, his deep blue eyes looked like pools of heaven. Their coffee arrived a few moments later and grim sighed.

"You alright?"

"Yeah, I just hate rainy days"

"Cheri, don't worry about it"

He placed his hand upon hers and she smiled. She couldn't be happier here, or that's what she thought, she missed her family dearly, but she refused to become the ruler of the mob, it wasn't her wish, but she couldn't give the throne away. Vinny and Marius were the only ones who knew who she truly was, they knew she was a hitman, they knew about her family. She grabbed her things and stood up.

"Shall we go?"

Marius stood up and held out his hand for her to grab, they stepped outside just as the rain stopped, the sky turned into an ocean of pale blue, small clouds were dotted randomly. She looked over towards Marius and leant her head on his arm.

"You ok?"

"Yeah"

"Why don't I believe that?"

"Because you know me"

"That is true my lovely"

She scoffed and pushed him away, he started laughing and placed a gentle kiss on her head. They walked past the school and walked into the gates, she grabbed Marius's wrist and looked at the time.

"You know he doesn't finish school till later?"

"I know, but I'm getting him early"

They walked into the school building and up to one of the classes, Grim knocked on the door and caught the attention of everyone in the room.

"oui, comment puis-je vous aider?"
(yes, how may I help you?)

"Bonjour, nous sommes ici pour récupérer Gavroche"
(hello, we are here to pick up Gavroche)

A little boy with chai blonde hair stood up and ran over to grim wrapping his arms around her, his shining brown eyes shone even on the darkest of days. His rosy cheeks hid underneath a sea of carefully placed freckles.

"Hi, Grim!"

"Hello bear, get your bag, Marius will help"

"Grim, what are you going to do?"

"I just want to talk to the teacher about something"

She walked over to the teacher and sat down next to her.

"puis-je avoir du travail pour Gavroche? nous partons bientôt en vacances et je ne veux pas qu'il rate quoi que ce soit"
(can I please have some work for Gavroche? We are going on holiday soon and I don't want him to miss out on anything)

"Oui, bien sûr"
(yes, of course)

"Merci"
(thank you)

She watched as the teacher grabbed some worksheets and stapled them together. Grim met up with the boys and smiled evilly

"what's with the smile?"

"Nothing, let's go home"

"Mama, why did you pick me up early?"

"Because you need to pack"

"Why?"

"Don't question it, son, Grim has a plan"

She observed as Marius picked Gavroche up and placed him on his shoulders, he wasn't even his son, but he treated him like he was, mind you he wasn't Grims son either, she brought him into her heart. She didn't know who his parents were as she found him sitting on her doorstep. She pulled out the house keys and walked up the steps to the door. They lived in the "rich" part of Paris as Grim did have a bit of money from her job, this was the money only she knew about, they couldn't track her or nothing. She pushed the door open and walked into a royal style entry. Their house was big as it was a chateau styled villa built for the rich back in the 1700s. Marius placed Gavroche on the floor and took him up to his room to help him pack. This was her new life, her new family. This was the life she wanted, a partner and a child, the simple life. She walked into the kitchen and opened the door to the backyard and smiled as she saw Gavroche's puppy come running up to her, he was a little black löwchen crossed with a poodle. She walked upstairs holding the puppy and pushed open a white door into a room decorated to look like a playground, she walked over to the closet and looked inside.

"Guys where are you?"

She heard giggling coming from the fort, she placed the dog down and climbed up the rock wall and saw them both hiding in there.

"Very childish Marius"

"Haha, mama told you off!"

"Come on bear you need to finish packing"

"Ok"

He sat on the slide and landed in the pit of pillows, he ran back over to his closet and started putting clothes in his suitcase.

"Oh, come on babe, it was funny"

"It was Marius, but you are supposed to be helping him pack!"

The doorbell rang interrupting the argument, she rolled her eyes and placed a kiss on his cheek and walked over to Gavroche

"Make sure Marius helps you and doesn't play around ok?"

"Ok!"

She placed a kiss on his head and walked back downstairs and to the door, she opened it and froze.

"Grim!?"

"B-Blair?"