7)The Talking Cat

"I KNOW what I saw," I maintained hours later.
I had started screaming for help after seeing the great white shark in the water. Tanner and his father had instantly come out to see what was wrong. Not knowing how to make sense of the situation, I ram from the edge of the waterfront and explained that I saw a shark. Heavy trembles took over my body as I retold my frightening encounter.
I really shouldn't have said anything. Tanner's father started laughing at me, clearly thinking I was staging some kind of prank. Tanner watched me with a pitying expression as I fearfully recounted what it was I saw emerge from the murky lake water. There were two others with them upon their arrival, a heavy-set college-aged guy who was Beagle's Bagels dishwasher, and an older gentleman who must have been a customer. Once satisfied that there was nothing wrong with me, the old man complained that he should get a fresh cup of coffee on the house on account of his coming outside to see what was wrong. He didn't care that I saw a great white in the marina. No one seemed to.
That was it. My screams of petrified fear were instantly dismissed by everyone. David laughed at my frightened but true declaration, but then commented that I wasn't being paid by the hour to be a 'jokester.' The others who came to the docks to see what I was screaming about quickly left once it was proven there was nothing happening at that given moment.
After my shift ended, I immediately went to my locker to grab my cell phone. I highjacked the coffee shops WiFi to do an internet search on shark species residing in Lake Michigan. But my search was useless.

There were no species ofshark that were capable of living in the freshwater lakes. Evidently, bullsharks could live in fresh water all over the world, but mostly in rivers thatare adjacent to the open ocean. But a bull shark wasn't what I saw.
I was more than beyond certain I hadseen a great white shark rise from the depths of the lake. But even that didn'tseem accurate. The monstrous beast that I had seen looked closer to the size ofa smaller Megalodon than a great white. The only reason I was somewhat familiarof sharks and even that ancient species of one was from all of my years ofwatching Shark week. While living in the Carolinas I've always liked knowingwhat kinds of sharks are in the water during beach season. That was why Ialways stayed on land tanning myself instead of frolicking in the ocean wheredumb people were potential shark food.
As soon as I got back to my grandparents' house, I called them and Sam to thelong hallway to explain what it was I saw. But my story was treated the sameway as when I had started screaming on the pier; with clear disbelief. Mygrandfather watched me with a sheepish expression, my grandmother, a look ofworry. It was Sammy who had the worst look of all of them. The look of boredom.
"You saw a great-white shark in Lake Michigan," said Sam with a nod. Hisdisbelieving tone was bothersome.
I threw up my arms and gave him a rude look. "Is that not what I've been sayingfor the last ten minutes??"
"Gabi," began grandpa awkwardly, "sharks don't live in these waters."
"No, really??" I snarked sarcastically. "I think I figured that out all bymyself!"
"Then why are you insisting you saw a shark?" Yawned Sam.
"I KNOW sharks don't live in Lake Michigan, but it doesn't take away what Isaw!"
"A shark, in Lake Michigan," continued Sam slowly. "And not just any shark mindyou, the BIGGEST shark you've ever seen...Where are you going?!"
"Why am I going to grace you with my presence if you can't take me seriously?"
"Ohh c'mon Gabi," tried Sam weakly as he followed me up the stairs. "There'sjust no way you saw a shark of that size. I'm sorry, but you were mistaken."
I didn't say another word to my brother. Once we reached my room, I slammed thedoor in his face and locked it. I skipped dinner that night, choosing to spendthe evening in my room. Of course, my grandmother brought a plate of pot roastand veggies upstairs to me. She didn't hover. Obviously, she was able to senseI wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone. I thanked her and lightly picked at mydinner, but my mind wasn't thinking about how bratty I was coming across to mygrandparents. I didn't know how, but I was positively certain I saw a massiveshark in that marina. I was also certain that I was going to prove it.
***
The next day my shift at Beagle's Bagels wasn't until four in the afternoon. Iwoke up early to go search my grandfather's garage. I needed transportation butI didn't want to depend on the trolley or my grandma chauffeuring me aroundtown. During the tour of the house my grandmother gave me, she showed me thegarage that looked to be the product of a severe hoarder. Boxes were on top ofboxes. Storage that looked old enough to be stockpiled from back when mygrandparents were married was everywhere. There was barely a path to movearound the garage. There were random objects like fake Christmas trees alongwith a random refrigerator perched against the wall. There were many trophies,awards my grandfather won throughout the years, ones that were for fishing whenI took a closer look. I finally found what I first saw on my grandmother'stour. A mountain bike.

I was able to get the flat tires inflated by dragging it to the nearest gasstation three blocks away. I had to politely ask a gas station attendant forassistance because I had no idea what I was doing. I must have had the perfectlook of innocence because the grouchy looking attendant helped me withoutcomplaint. Then I purchased a water bottle, dried banana chips, and a small boxof baking soda. The first two would be my breakfast, The latter would be for acool little pimple dissolver I had read about online. Afterwards, I started thetwo-mile journey towards Beagle's Bagels. I wasn't sure what I was going to doonce I got there, but the best place to start hunting for a shark was to startin the place it was seen. I was going to be smart when I saw it now. I had mycell phone on me, it would be easy to snap a picture or to live stream theshark. I was smug as I rode; let's see Sammy not believe me after thatevidence. This was bound to be an amazing discovery for sea life in general. Agreat white shark has never been spotted in Wisconsin according to my studying.
It was only when I finally reached the marina did I notice the weather. It wasdark and dreary out, a gentle rain was falling. I put up the grey hood of myjean jacket as I watched the large marina. The waves were very large. Theytraveled from the lake, through the canal, and then crashing against the docks.The rain and wind were affecting them. That was disappointing to see. It meantit would be tricky trying to find the shark in this weather.
"Bait," I said to myself, snapping my fingers.
If I learned anything from my many summers of watching shark week, it was thatbait was needed to lure sharks. "But even with bait, how am I going to lure ashark in this bad weather?" I complained to myself. I kicked my sneaker againstthe wet pavement as I wondered if I should just head to the coffee house towait for my shift to start. I pulled up the grey hood of my jacket as itstarted to rain again.
Something that moved in a nearby bush about fifteen feet away caught my fullattention. A black cat emerged, its fur slick with rain. I was either seeingthe same black cat around town or Kenosha was just littered with them.
I approached the cat slowly, surprised it didn't automatically bolt the momentit had a human approach. The rain was coming dow a tad harder than it was justten minutes earlier, inspiring me to realize I should just head somewhere dryand abandon my plans for now.
The cat started purring the moment its dark head was gently covered by a largerpart of the bush. "I don't suppose you know how to trap a great-white shark, doyou?" I muttered to the cat as I turned to walk away.
"I cannot fathom why you would be stupid enough to attempt such a feat," said avoice as rich and airy as cream. This halted my movements. I whipped around tolook for the person who clearly heard me and responded. But there wasn't anyoneelse in the park. There wasn't anyone behind me towards the docks, and therewas definitely no one outside walking in this weather.
"Who said that?" I demanded, scouring every inch of the park but unable to finda single person.
"You can hear me?" Inquired the male voice, sounding amused.
"Duh," I replied mildly. "Maybe you shouldn't be a sarcastic jerk if you don'twant someone calling you out on it."
I still couldn't see anyone all around me I whipped around trying to find theperson who spoke. I twirled like an inexperienced ballerina.
"Forgive me," said the voice apologetically. "I am rather unused to individualsbeing able to hear me, I thought you were human."
I ignored that odd wording to keep looking. "You could at least come outalready."
"I am right behind you," said the voice.
Turning around I found something really disturbing. There was no one behind me.Strangely, there was only the black cat from earlier. I was wondering why thisstranger was messing with me before the cat spoke. "I cannot reveal my trueform in public given I am undercover," explained the cat.
I thought about screaming. I thought about sprinting for the nearest buildingand calling for help. While there I could scream some more that the cat spoketo me. But who was going to believe me?
"A talking cat," I said, nodding slowly. "Great, I've gone insane."
"Not at all," replied the cat mildly, shaking his fur given how soaked he wasbecoming. "I am as real as you are." I noted that the voice had a mild accentthat I couldn't place.
"Well of course you're not going to agree that I'm insane!" I snapped back."You're clearly a hallucination."
"No, I am Dedun, god of incense, hunter, protector of ancient Egypt."
"You're a god," I said slowly to the cat, somewhat surprised I hadn't taken offrunning. I strangely didn't feel afraid. "Ok, so do something godlike."
The cat chortled as if it thought I was amusing. "Enough gaming. I am breakingmany rules even conversing with you out in the open."
Getting onto blended knee, I couldn't find a speaker on the cat. It didn't evenpossess a collar. Against my better judgement, I picked the cat up to examineit more thoroughly. But there was nothing to indicate that the cat wasn't trulyspeaking to me. I scoured his sleek fur, felt his tiny paws.
"This is very intrusive, you know," remarked the cat, clearly annoyed as I heldit in my left arm. I used my right to pat it down, figuring I was bound to finda speaker for this elaborate prank.
"Miss, please stay away from my groin," snapped the cat as I felt around itsbelly for something to indicate he wasn't talking. I dropped the cat once hehissed at me.
"Sorry," I said apologetically before shaking my head. It was weird I was apologizingto the talking cat.
"It is quite alright, just don't do it again." A small pause commenced where Iwondered how I should try to break the silence. Since I was obviously losing mymind, I figured I might as well play along with my hallucination.
"So, what do you know about the great-white shark?" I felt like a small-towndetective questioning a possible witness instead of a teenager questioning atalking cat.
The cat tilted its head to stare up at me. "I know that is the least of yourconcerns at this time."
"Oh really? There's bigger concerns than a massive shark?"
"Certainly."
"Like what?" I challenged hotly. That was easy for the cat to say. He didn'thave his boss and coworkers thinking he was an immature idiot let alone hisbrother and grandparents disbelieving him.
"Like the murders that are plaguing this quaint little town," replied Dedun.
I stiffened. My mind was suddenly brought back to the murders on the beach acouple days ago. The cat and I just watched each other for the longest time.His golden eyes didn't blink and I was certain neither did mine. We watchedeach other for a few moments. While I was stunned a cat was talking, he was watchingme as if appraising if I was worthy of his communication.
"I must be off," said the cat suddenly, turning to prance away before I startedto follow him. "Hey wait! That's it? You're just going to talk to me and thenrun away like nothing was said?!"
"I am not sure what else you would like me to say," explained the cat mildly.
"Well, where are you going?"
"To further investigate what it is plaguing this town," said the cat as if itfelt I was stupid for not automatically assuming this. I allowed that to sinkin as the cat pranced away.
"Oh, ok...Can I come with?"
Th cat stopped its fast walk to look at me. Even though animals didn't possessthe ability to look surprised, the cat certainly did. If he had eyebrows, I wascertain they would be raised. "Come with? I am doubtful you are evenaware that you are not human, how exactly are you going to assist me?"
Suddenly a memory popped in my head. It was remembering the guy and the girl onthe trolley when I first came to town. They too also spoke withoutcontractions, as if they were from another time and place entirely. I didn'tknow what to respond.
Tell him to take you to Artemis
The voice in my head was quiet and faint. I recognized it but could notplace why I did. It sounded like a faint whisper in my ear. I looked aroundworriedly only to find it was no one else but me and the cat. Dedun looked atme expectantly as if he was waiting for me to answer.
"T-take me to Artemis," I said slowly, still rattled by the mysterious voicethat even the cat didn't seem to hear.
The cat, although with very animalistic features, again looked surprised I saidthis name.
"As you wish," he said, giving a bow of his furry head. "Follow me."
***