9)The Olympian Child

According to Dedun, first things first was that we had to change. I had to agree, we looked horrible coated in the blood of the basilisk. All things considered; I was handling things quite well. My entire life was never going to be the same. If I wasn't going insane, it meant that I had woken up that morning learning that not only are there talking cats but monster snakes in the world. Dedun had spare clothes in his satchel. It seemed like the bag was able to hold anything and everything. I fixed my sloppy pony, tucking loose strands of my auburn hair behind my ear.
He handed me an asymmetrical black skirt that fell to my feet. A loose white tank top that was a little too big was also in there. I used a ponytail holder from my purse to tie a knot onto the end to make it fit me. Dedun also provided a washcloth so that I was able to wipe the blood off my face.
After that, I barely paid attention. Dedun pulled the basilisk off the trolley, along with its decapitated head. It looked ridiculously unbelievable that a man of his size could move the body of such a large animal. Dedun then set the massive snake on fire. This wasn't an ordinary fire. He set it with a blue flame that caused it to completely disappear within twenty seconds. If I hadn't been looking directly at the scene before me, I would have missed it. "Come along," he finally said once the snake and its head were completely gone. The massive snake shriveled up easily; soon gone as if it never existed. The blue flames disappeared as well.
"Come along?" I balked. "What about the trolley? The broken windows, all the blood, the dead driver?!" How could he possibly believe we could walk away from this that easily?
Dedun waved his hand as if he wanted me to lower the volume. "Irrelevant. The windows are broken and the driver is unhealable. Human authorities will only come across the dead driver. A medical examiner will believe the human died of what is known as a heart attack."
"What about the windows?!"
"Windows break all the time."
"And all the blood??" I exploded.
"No human will be able to see it," explained Dedun reasonably, as if he felt I was panicking for nothing. "It's cloaked."
He then threw his satchel back over his shoulder and started to walk off. All I could do was stare helplessly at the trolley and then back at him. "Are you coming?" he asked. I got the impression he was rather unphased by everything that had just happened. Worse, he seemed used to it.
I followed behind him, doing a doubletake when the satchel disappeared as well as him. He was suddenly a cat once more. I didn't say anything as I slowly followed him. Dedun turning into a cat again was the least weird thing to happen today.
"So, what is your name?" asked Dedun conversationally. My head lowered to stare at the cat. He noted my odd look. "I'd say we can now become more acquainted. After all, you saved my life, Olympian decedent."
"My name is Gabi," I said automatically. "What does that even mean, Olympian descendant?"
The cat stopped his fast-paced walk. Once more Dedun looked surprise as he stared up at me. "You just assisted in destroying one of the most lethal killers that has ever walked this universe, and yet you do not realize that you are descended from one of the twelve Olympians?"
He had to be joking. I wasn't descended from anything. The most I was probably descended from was hoarders if my Grandpa Walter was any indication.
"Look, I don't know what to tell you," I admitted, throwing my hands up. "I was just bluffing. I don't know this Artemis and I don't really know anything. I woke up this morning determined to prove there's a great-white shark in the lake. I came across you and then before I know it, there's an old man turning into a ridiculously large snake who then tried to kill us. I don't know anything about Olympians, talking cats, or basilisks."
Dedun looked amused while even in cat form. "Then why did you demand I take you to Artemis?" he sounded skeptical.
"There's a voice in my head," I admitted weakly. My palms were starting to sweat. "It's been talking to me, telling me what I should or shouldn't do."
"You are the child of an Olympian," said Dedun gravely, again bowing his head. He peered up at me through his pretty golden eyes. "That would be your Olympic parent providing guidance. If they told you to tell me to take you to Artemis, it means they desire you to be with the goddess of the hunt."
"Child of an Olympian?? Don't you get it? I lied!" I pushed, thankful no passersby could hear or see us given we were still in the alley. The only people were on the other side of the street going inside a sports store. "I don't know anything! You weren't wrong when you thought I was a kid. I'm only fifteen, I don't know anything about this!" As adult as I wanted to believe myself, I felt like a little kid in way over my head.
Dedun gave a dry chuckle. "Then I suppose you're about to get a crash course."

The next twenty minutes of walking, Dedun waited until there was no one around. He proceeded to give me a crash course in Greek Mythology. Dedun explained to me that there were twelve Olympic gods. I briefly recalled learning about this in the eighth grade. It was part of my English class, we had to read the Odyssey. Before we read it, my teacher had spoken briefly of different gods and goddesses. Although, the topic seemed to bore my English teacher so she skipped past almost everything and just proceeded to give us the assignment of reading the book and then answering the questions on the assignment. I didn't read the book, I simply cheated like a few of my classmates and just Googled the answers. Given it wasn't a topic my teacher really cared for, none of us had gotten into trouble. I doubt she even realized all of us had replica answers. I remember mentions of the Olympians, Zeus and Poseidon to name a few. Dedun soon explained that well before most religions were formed, people prayed to the gods. There was Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Ares, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, Hermes, and Dinoysius. I gave up trying to figure out where we were going. I was enamored by Dedun's story, amazed that he spoke as if these were real people and events he were talking about and not myths. As time progressed Dedun explained, people stopped praying and providing sacrifices and offers to the gods and goddesses. A war had occurred; one that pitted Titans and gods against each other, had demons and angels at war. With that, people stopped worshipping the gods. They focused their dedication to their new individual religions and their one 'true' god. After that, the Olympians and other major deities started to disappear. They no longer conversed with humans; they were never seen or heard from again. Eventually, enough time passed than generations passed down the stories involving the Olympians as myth.
My head was pounding from how much information I was trying to keep up with.
"I take it you were unaware that you were of godly decent," said Dedun mildly.

I wasn't an overtly religious person. Neither of my parents took Sam and I to church growing up. We didn't below to a denomination. As I thought about it, I was certain neither set of my grandparents believed in organized religion either. I never gave religion thought because no one ever made me consider it. Here and now, I wasn't sure what to think. "The world seemed so much simpler this morning when all I believed in was a great-white shark living in Lake Michigan," I admitted.
"Little did you know the world and universe was so much larger than you ever could have imagined," said Dedun with a nod of his furry head. "Tis a curious situation as to why your Olympian parent did not make their identity known to you."
"You're wrong about my either of my parents being an Olympian." I would have surely known if either my mom or dad was a toga wearing weirdo.
"No, I am not," reasoned Dedun. "The basilisk confirmed it. They have a very advanced sense of smell, you see. The snake would have no reason to lie about your lineage."
I scowled. "My dad's traveling Europe with his bubble-headed new bride. Trust me, if the guy was an Olympic God, I'd know it."
"And what of your mother?"
A sharp pang hit my chest just thinking about my mom. There wasn't day that passed by these eight years that I didn't miss her terribly. I couldn't look at Dedun as I answered. "My mom died a long a time ago. So neither of my parents are what you say they are."
"Hmm," murmured Dedun. "I would have figured your father was the Olympian. Quite the question as to who your parent could be if it is your mother who is the Olympian."
"Why?"
"There are five females that are Olympians. However, it is impossible that two could be your mother."
"I'll play along," I said with a snort. "Why would it be impossible for two of the goddesses to be my mom?"
"You really don't know anything," said Dedun with a laugh. "Hera, Demeter, Artemis, Aphrodite, and Athena are the female Olympians. Artemis and Athena could not be your mother given they took an oath of virginity thousands of years ago."
I laughed. "So did some of the girls in my middle school just because they saw on the internet that the Jonas Brothers did. That didn't stop them from getting pregnant in high school."
Dedun huffed. "Lady Artemis and the goddess Athena take their virginity pledges quite seriously. They would never break their oaths."
"Fine," I snorted, somewhat amused by how annoyed and defensive I seemed to be making him.
"Then it's obviously one of the others."
"Perhaps, but that feels doubtful as well. Queen Hera would never have an extramarital affair resulting in your birth. That would leave Aphrodite and Demeter. Aphrodite would never have the time to deal with a mortal lover."
"Then I guess hypothetically speaking, it would be Demeter."
"That also seems strange. Demeter is not one to fraternize with mortals to conceive a child."
"Not just child, I have an older brother," I commented.
"That makes it an even more curious situation. A goddess would have bore not one but two half-human children. The question would be why."
Dedun peered up at me as if looking at me as if my face would have all the answers.
"Don't give me that look. I think you're full of it."
"Full of what?" He was confused.
I waved my hand. "Forget it. Now where are we going?"
We were on the edge of town. My legs ached from all our walking. We had to have walked three full miles from the alley, through downtown Kenosha, and then down a road that eventually brought us to a very large forest. On the edge of it, hidden from view behind trees and shrubbery, was a very tiny porta potty. It looked frightening. Aged with years and heavily rain damaged. Flies could be heard zipping around it, making me think the disgusting thing was probably over a decade in age. I did a doubletake to find Dedun was human again. He was dressed in baggy tan pants with a loose white shirt upon him. It was caked in dry blood from the basilisk. "Are you coming?" he asked as he grabbed upon the handle of the porta potty.
"You're kidding."
It had to be a joke. There was no way he could seriously believe I would go into that disgusting and dingy space.
"After your experience with the basilisk and its transformation, you do not realize that looks can be deceiving?" asked Dedun, a grin tugging at the corners of his mouth. He held open the door for me. From where I stood a few feet away, the inside of the porta potty looked just as gross and cringe worthy as I was anticipating. The smell was horrendous. I covered my nose and mouth immediately with my hands.
"You've got to be kidding me!"
"If it looked pleasant and presentable, anyone would come in," said Dedun, issuing for me to follow behind him.
I snorted. There wasn't enough room for the both of us. But I cautiously followed behind him anyway. After the basilisk, I wasn't about to disbelieve anything. As soon as I stepped passed the threshold of the door, my view of everything changed. There was no longer a hideous porta potty with a rancid smell. It was as though that was a poster hanging on a wall. We were now in what appeared to be an outrageously large tent. It looked as big of a house. There were hallways and tall ceilings, making me doubletake between where we came in and where we were now.
There were only a handful of people. All strange looking women with pointed ears but beautiful faces. A girl who looked no older than myself spotted Dedun and I immediately. Her hair was the color of honeycombs. Her face a beautiful and rich coffee brown. The girl dark eyes held a deathly glint. She lifted a sword and pointed it directly at Dedun.
"You know who I am, Anya," said Dedun dryly. "Put that away before you hurt yourself."
"The real Dedun would not enter the lair of Lady Artemis without being in his transformation disguise," said Anya through gritted teeth, her sword unwavering. She caught the attention of two other women. Both just as beautiful in their own individual ways. Both young women were dressed as Anya was, simple jeans and t-shirts. No one wore outlandish colors or designs.
"It was also not anticipated I would come across the demigod child of an Olympian during my travels."
The girl shot me a brief glance before her death glaze returned to Dedun. "You show in your male form; tis a disrespect to the goddess Artemis!"
Dedun looked to be holding in a scowl. "I hold plenty of respect for the Lady of the Night, we are not in her temple." By now a few other young women were looking in the direction of Anya and Dedun. All looked as suspicious as she did. "You do not hold respect, showing that you are would mean you would be-"
"If you could shut up for like, two seconds, he could explain things to you," I interrupted, growing impatient for how this girl seemed to be enjoying the sound of her own voice.
Now Anya turned her death glaze upon me. "How dare you speak to me in such a way!"
"What is all the ruckus about?" asked a familiar voice I had heard before. This new arrival seemed to appear out of this air. I probably would have been really scared had I not seen an old man burst into a snake over an hour ago. A young woman in all black apparel was suddenly beside Anya. Black leggings and a long-sleeved black shirt emphasized the small muscles the girl had. Her hair was as black as her clothing. It cascades in a long braid over her shoulder. A velvet and violet hooded cloak was tied around her neck.
"Lady Artemis," said Dedun with a bow. "I come with grave news; Elkorn the terrible staged an attack not long ago. He wished me dead."
"He came in here in his male form," Anya began before Artemis held up a hand to silence her.
"That is not of vast importance at this moment, hunter. You are dismissed."
With a look of pure dejectedness, Anya bowed her head and walked away. But not before throwing me a very dirty look. I really wanted to flip her the bird, but Artemis distracted me by talking again.
"Elkorn? That is a surprise he would rear his head in this small of a town."
"Indeed," said Dedun grimly. "He wanted a message relayed; Midgard will fall, the realms will fall as will the Olympians."
Artemis's bottom lip curled. Her eyes flashed with immediate anger. "He's working with Loki."
"Was," corrected Dedun. "We killed him."
It seemed at that moment Artemis was aware that it was more than just Dedun and the young women in the room. She saw me close beside him. It seemed to finally dawn on her that I was there.
"You were on the trolley," she recalled, her eyes narrowing suspiciously. Not having a better response, I just shrugged.
"You helped defeat Elkhorn the terrible?"
"I guess so," I replied with another shrug. It wasn't as if the basilisk and I really exchanged pleasantries or were on a first-name basis.
"She helped defeat a basilisk royal heir?" questioned Artemis suspiciously. The nearby Anya looked gleeful that Artemis didn't seem to like me already. I really had to work to avoid throwing up a rude hand gesture.
"Yes," said Dedun. "Up until an hour ago she did not know that she was of Olympic decent."
"That would explain our run-in on the trolley," allowed Artemis curtly. "She would be able to see me while others could not. Even still, why would you bring the girl here?"
Dedun seemed annoyed we weren't already moving on to another topic. "I believe we were brought together by an act of fate."
I could've laughed at such a dumb comment if Dedun hadn't looked so serious.
Artemis looked skeptical as Dedun continued. "She did not know she was a demigoddess prior to our run-in. She was not aware of her heritage. Yet she hears a voice inside of her head that commanded her to tell me to bring her to you, Lady Artemis. Had she not distracted Elkhorn and then proceeded an attempt to kill him, I would most likely be dead right now."
"For all we know that voice could be the voice of our enemies using the girl as a meat puppet to spy on us," said Artemis briskly.
Dedun's golden eyes narrowed slightly. "Or she was brought here for a higher purpose-"
"Or she was brought to spy, Dedun," said Artemis with a scowl.
"Or her Olympic parent led her here because she is meant to assist in this war against Loki," argued Dedun as Artemis begun to walk away. He looked exasperated as he followed her. "I now believe twas only an act of fate that brought us together!"
"An act of fate," echoed Artemis with a snide laugh. Strong laughed joined her. Artemis's eyes flickered to the girls who were laughing with her. Now she was annoyed. They joined in her mocking laughter until she waved a hand to dismiss them. The girls bowed their heads and hurried away, not a second glance to any of us. "You sound similar to Apollon who babbles of the nonsense regarding fate."
"If I may, m'lady, tis your brother Apollo for why I feel you should be considering this is an act of fate. You better than most should understand that this girl was brought here for a higher purpose-"
"What my brother believes and what I believe are two vastly different things," interrupted Artemis coolly. "If I sense properly, this girl is no more than five or six years past the tender age of ten. She is but a child."
"A child who assisted in the defeating of a basilisk," said a new voice. The young man who had been on the trolley that one night had suddenly arrived. Sharp cheekbones and the perfect nose enhanced an already handsome face. His eyes were sea-green; alluring and mysterious. He was dressed in a dazzling silver and gold armor that covered his legs. A long, glittering trident with a large green gem was in his left hand. My head started to doubletake. He seemed to appear out of thin air. "Not just any basilisk mind you, the rouge son of a king!"
Artemis looked further annoyed.
"And you know of this how, Triton?"
"I was there," answered Triton mildly. "I watched the attack happen in the ally."
Dedun turned to stare at the new arrival. There was a height difference between the two young men. Triton stood easily at six two, Dedun went up to perhaps five foot nine. But that didn't matter. Right then and there, I was certain Dedun would win a fight if he were to engage with Triton. He looked furious.
"You were there when we could have been killed!" He sounded appalled.
"I would have intervened had I thought I was needed," said Triton in a bored voice. "That fact of the matter is, the girl proved herself to be a warrior at heart. She distracted the basilisk without fear for her own safety, and then attempted to choke it with a strange powdery substance. She succeeded. Her distraction was enough to help Dedun recover before he removed the head from the traitor prince."
Artemis gave a nod. "Is this true?" She was looking directly at me. I didn't know what to say besides a simple response.
"Yeah."
"What did you use to poison the creature?" Her eyes narrowed suspiciously.
"Uh, baking soda," I said. Artemis still looked suspicious, inspiring me to elaborate. "I didn't know if it would work, I just got lucky."
"She tells no lie," said Artemis finally, staring at me with such a deep and penetrating gaze it felt she could see right through me.
"I tell you exactly what happened and yet you believe Triton over me," said Dedun in wonder. "Sometimes I wonder why it is I am here assisting you, m'lady." He sounded insulted.
"We are all here for the same reason, Dedun," said Artemis calmly. "We wish to halt the destruction of the realms. Forgive me for second guessing your story, I felt suspicious of the girl."
Dedun gave a nod.
"What to do, what to do," said Triton, peering at me with his lovely green eyes. A sharp tingle tickled my spine as I looked at him. I blushed and diverted my gaze. He was really cute...
"Wipe her memory and send her back where you found her," said Artemis as she went to look at a scroll of paper nearby. "I haven't the time nor the desire to care for a young one."
"She is the product of an Olympian!" said Dedun adamantly. "Elkhorn confirmed it! Hells bells, the girl confirms it now by being able to understand the tongue of which we speak!"
My eyes narrowed out of confusion. What was that supposed to mean?
"And this should matter why...?" said Artemis with a single raise brow. She turned her dark head to address me. "Who is your parent, demigod?"
"Uh...I don't know. My dad is on his honeymoon and my mom passed away a long time ago."
Artemis stifled a laugh.
My eyes widened as my teeth grit together at her rudeness. "I'm sorry, is hearing my mom is dead funny to you?"
Artemis offered her palms as if to show she didn't mean offence. "If your father is a mortal and still in your life, that would make your mother a goddess and the one responsible for your demigoddess status. I know not of a goddess who would have the time or the care to birth a demigod child-"
"Children," interrupted Dedun. "She has a brother."
"Perhaps Elkhorn was wrong, and she is of nymph decent?" said Triton curiously. He took a step towards me. "May I?"
"Um...Sure?" I offered awkwardly, feeling my cheeks burn in a heated blush. Triton took the pad of his thumb and pressed it upon my forehead.
His touch was intense. The touch from his thumb grew very hot before very cold suddenly. Once Triton moved his thumb away, he seemed satisfied. "See for yourself, Ara. The girl is a demigod child of an Olympian. Of whom I cannot tell."
Artemis said nothing. Her lips pursed together in what I could only assume was annoyance.
"And her parent wanted her with you," said Dedun. "Obviously she is meant to join our cause."
"Take her home and wipe her memory," said Artemis at once. She didn't look my way again as she spoke. "If her parent wished for her to be a part of a war with my team, then her parent should have consulted with me beforehand."
Dedun looked angered. "M'lady-"
"I don't send children off to die in war. Now do as I say. I have sirens to track."
Dedun suddenly appeared before me, scaring me enough to jump. "My apologies," he said before pressing a thumb against my forehead similar to how Triton did earlier. Only this time, the touch was incredibly warm before I felt my legs turned to jelly beneath me. Before I knew it, I fell unconscious.
Dedun caught the teenager before she could hit the ground. Her auburn hair fell over her pale face as he held her in a cradle. "What a shame," murmured Triton. "Such a pretty little thing. And young Dedun seems so fond of her."
Artemis didn't look up as she kept her head buried in her scrolls. "Do as I say-"
"I heard you well the first time," said Dedun coldly, not looking back as he vanished with the girl.
***