13)Triton

I dressed in jeans and a hoodie, the weather barely fifty late at night. It was nearly midnight; Walter and Diane had been fast asleep for the last few hours. Due to my grandmother's hovering, I decided to wait until I knew they would be in bed before I snuck out. I didn't want either my Grandma or Grandpa to check up on me and then not find me in bed.
I didn't know how to find Dedun. He didn't leave me a cellphone number or any way to contact him. I didn't exactly know if he would seek me out prior to 'give me time to think things through'. I was going off pure adrenaline as I pedaled my grandfather's old mountain bike through downtown Kenosha. I was scarred from taking the trolley; almost certain I'd never be able to step foot on one again. My mind was starting to play tricks on me. As I pedaled down the dark sidewalk towards the direction I remembered the dilapidated porta potty, I was overcome with an eerie feeling. I was being watched.
My pedaling slowed briefly as I searched for the cause of my alarm. I couldn't see anyone on the dark road. Houses had been blurring past me on the sidewalk as I rode. There was no one outside this time of night; all lights were turned off. The only way to see the road was the dim streetlights. It was dark enough that I didn't want to ride the bike in the street; my luck I'd encounter a car that couldn't see me. My pedaling slowed but I didn't stop riding. I tried to pinpoint why I had a weird feeling but I was coming up empty. A sharp breaking of twigs from behind me caused my head to swivel. I shouldn't have done that. Looking around in wonder made it so I didn't see I was suddenly less than three feet from ramming into someone.
I swerved dramatically, crashing my bike into a nearby lawn. I landed on my elbow. As I was about to mutter out a long string of profanities, I find the person I had been about to hit is suddenly no longer around. Not on the sidewalk and not in the road. They seemed to have vanished into thin air.
Fear and panic started to fill me as I recalled that Calla had disappeared in the same dramatic fashion the night we first met. She had vanished as swiftly as eyes blinking. A quick rustling from the trees across the street had me on edge again. A soft breeze filled the air; I was certain I was about a mile away from the porta potty. Part of me felt that the smartest thing would be to hop on my bike and pedal the opposite direction as fast as I can. Instinct told me to grab the weapon I had brought along in my boho purse. I slipped out the large cutting knife I had snuck from my grandmother's knife set. Wondering if I should start screaming or if I should hop onto my bike again, the decision was made for me as a large hand grabbed my left shoulder.
Whirling around I had the knife ready to attack as I gasped. The knife wiggled in my grasp as I trembled with fear. I wondered if it was another basilisk...
"Hello again," said a familiar voice tinged with annoyance. "You'll only embarrass yourself attempting to attack me with that."
It was the guy who was assisting Artemis. The inhumanly good looking one that kept making me blush if I watched him too closely. If my memory served, his name was Triton. "Uh, hi again," I stammered, looking between him and my butcher knife.
"Clearly your memory was not wiped," said Triton curtly. He crossed his muscled arms. He was shirtless, wearing nothing but a pair of strange silver armor on his bottom half. A large, familiar glittering trident stood in his left hand. I didn't have anything intelligent to say. I swallowed my fear as he took a step closer.
"I n-need to talk to Artemis. It's about the siren."
I could see Triton smile under the dim streetlights. "A child has no place in a war. Dedun should have wiped your memory."
"Don't insult me by calling me a child," I replied coldly. "This is serious."
"Do not assume that when I insult you that I am not very serious," said Triton calmly. He peered down at me with a raised eyebrow.
It was sickening how attractive he was. No one should be allowed to look as good-looking as he does with his perfectly sculpted cheek bones and dazzling green eyes. The only person I could think of that rivaled him in looks was Calla.
"I need to tell Artemis about the siren," I continued, ignoring his insult. "She's working with Loki."
"Tis not something the Lady of the night is not already aware of," said Triton in a bored voice. "Any last words before I do what that foolish kitty cat should have?"
It was amazing how he was writing me off before listening to what happened earlier to inspire me to want to find Artemis.
"Instead of being a condescending moron, you could at least give me the time of day in listening to what I have to say," I replied hotly. "It's no hair off my head if this crazy lady helps Loki kill all the Olympians."
I thought I would irritate him with my response. But Triton only smiled broadly. "You truly are a brave little thing. Not many would disrespect a god in such a way."
I huffed. "I treat people like they treat me. That way, they're the ones who dictate if I show them respect or not." My mom taught me that.
Triton grit his teeth together. "I'll show you respect when you show me you're worthy of it."
I glared at the attractive jerk. "I'll be waiting for the same thing regarding you."
This declaration did nothing but make him chuckle. "You're amusing, child. I'll grant you that. But you're wasting your breath if you believe Artemis will allow you to join her hunt based on this knowledge."
"I don't care about Artemis or her hunt," I corrected, stuffing the knife back into my oversized purse. If he wanted to hurt me or wipe my memory, there was nothing I was going to be able to do to stop him. "I don't care about Loki or the fact that he wants the Olympians killed off."
Now I puzzled Triton greatly. "Then why do you wish to contribute news of the sirens to Artemis?"
"Sirens," I said, my face paling. "As in, there's more than one??"
"Yes, there is more than one," said Triton. "You did not answer me."
Now I feared greatly for Sam. I already knew Calla had friends. I remembered them from the night of the bonfire. I remember when Artemis and Dedun had been talking, they spoke of sirens. But now I grew fearful. What if Sam was already in trouble? Worse, what if he was already dead?
"My brother's girlfriend!" I exploded in explanation. "My brother's new girlfriend is a siren! She said I should have Artemis wipe my memory, she wants the Olympians dead, she-"
"Hold on, young one," said Triton. "Start from the beginning."
So I started from the beginning. I mentioned my first time meeting Calla, the men who had come up to me before she and other girls distracted them. How Calla walked me home, how she disappeared when my brother came outside. I explained how she and Sam were now dating, and that according to my grandparents when I spoke to them at dinner, they claimed Sam was spending all of his free time with his new girlfriend.
By the end of my long-winded explanation, I was out of breath. Triton stared into open space. "He is still alive, your brother?"
"Yeah?" I couldn't tell why this surprised him.
"In all honesty, he should be dead," said Triton mildly.
He seemed pleased by my frightened expression. "You really don't sugarcoat things, do you?"
He ignored my comment to continue. "You do not understand; this is irregular behavior of sirens already. They should not be in North America of all places, in a cold climate and on a lake. They live-"
"On a rocky island near Italy," I interrupted. "They prefer saltwater and warmer climates."
"You know your mythology," said Triton, amused. "I daresay our dear Dedun has been teaching you."
"How do I save my brother?" I demanded. That's the only thing I wanted from him or Artemis. I wanted to know how to save Sammy from the monster who has her proverbial claws in him. Or maybe she has actual claws, I didn't spend too much time with Calla to find out.
"It does not sound as if an ordinary siren has her hooks in your brother," remarked Triton, scratching at his five o'clock shadow.
"So what does that mean, she's a super siren?"
"No, child. It would mean that whatever this Calla is, is far more powerful than a siren; more dangerous, and more lethal."
My face paled. "Well how do I get rid of her?? I've had ridiculously bad luck since moving here. I can't count on something as simple as my brother breaking up with Calla for her to be out of the picture!"
"He will not," said Triton with a chuckle. "If this is a nymph, or worse, then your brother will never wish to part with this creature unless she desires it."
"And what the hell does that mean?"
Triton looked as if he were annoyed that I wasn't grasping his reveal sooner. "It means, your brother will not part of this creature until she rids him of her. That will not happen until one of two things occurs."
"Well don't leave me in suspense, spit it out," I chastised.
"You are very annoying," said Triton calmly. He watched me for a moment. "One, he'll impregnate her, and she'll keep him around for that purpose. Or two, she'll take his soul."

My head was buzzing from Triton's reveal. I was mad, sad, but beyond it all, I was scared. Either way, I was terrified for Sammy whether it came to his impregnating a monster or losing his soul. What did that entail? I would one day have a monstrous niece or nephew, or the alternative was that Sam would die? What happens when you lose a soul?
But there was something on my mind, something that was horrendous and evil. It was the only solution that would be final enough to get rid of something that wanted to steal my brother's soul or use him to mate. "How do I kill the sirens?"
A boisterous laughter came from Triton, one loud enough I was certain houses half a mile behind us could hear. "Silly girl. Artemis will never allow you to join her-"
"I'm not asking for permission," I intervened coldly. "I don't care if Artemis likes me or thinks I'm just a kid. This is my brother and my best friend we're talking about! If you or anybody else isn't willing to let me help stop Calla, I'll do it myself."
Triton watched me soundlessly for a few, long moments. "You would risk death for your brother?"
"In a heartbeat," I answered automatically. "More importantly, I'll kill for him." I've never felt more honest about anything in my life.
Triton said nothing to this.
"This declaration means something and nothing at once," said the voice of Artemis.
I gave a jump, not realizing she was right behind me. There was no way to tell how long she had been listening to us. She was dressed in her same hunter attire. Her purple hood was over her head. She swiped it back as I looked to her.
"It means more something than nothing," said Dedun, prancing forward in in his cat form. He sounded smug. "It means she is beneficial to discovering who is behind the murders in this small town. We have someone on the inside."
"A child," said Artemis, looking between Triton and the cat-formed Dedun. "We have a child on our side-"
"A child who has gotten more information in the last day than we have gained in two months," said Triton in a bored voice. "I dislike her as much as you, Ara, but she is beneficial."
"I'm not exactly fond of you either," I reply hotly only to watch him smirk.
Artemis watched me ruefully. "I do not dislike her, I am simply not one to send a child to die."
"And maybe you're worrying for nothing," I shot back adamantly. "Maybe you're so paranoid in thinking I shouldn't be a part of this because of my age that you're not realizing I can help."
"If you had a lick of knowledge about your godly heritage I would hold no qualms allowing you to assist," said Artemis coldly. "The fact is you would die the second it came to a hand-to-hand combat."
"As she died while battling a basilisk?" pointed out Dedun coolly.
Artemis opened her mouth and then closed it roughly. Her lips pursed. He had her there, and she didn't like it.
"Teach me how to fight, then." I said adamantly. "I'm not going away. Wipe my memory all you want, I'll still go after Calla."
I wasn't exactly sure how that would be still possible for me if they succeeded in wiping my memory. I was just that angry and scared for Sam. It appeared this decision was up to Artemis. Triton and Dedun both watched her expectantly, I watched her with narrowed eyes. She looked annoyed. Worse, she looked like she wanted to say no. It felt like a small eternity passed before she spoke again. "There's a very strong chance with your cocky nature and lack of common sense you will not reach your eighteenth birthday."
Maybe she was right if my life continued down a path with monster snakes and immortal gods.
"I'll take that bet," I said with what was perhaps a touch of arrogance. "And when I do reach it, you owe me a really cool birthday gift."
For once I saw a small ghost of a smile twitch at the corner of Artemis's mouth. It disappeared as quick as it came. "Dedun, you have yourself a pet," said replied stiffly. "Train her in the simplicities. She will not be in battle until she can fight my hunters. She will not go against my weakest of hunters until I deem her ready."
"The more time you waste making me prove myself to you is more time my brother could die!" I shot out angrily, annoyed she was walking away.
"As Triton alluded," said Artemis calmly. "If this creature wished for your brother to be dead, he already would be." She didn't turn back to me as she replied. "She will keep him alive for the purpose of mating or sucking out his soul. Either way, he'll perhaps have a month longer."
I jumped as she vanished into thin air. I looked around to find Triton was gone as well. They vanished silently into the night; if you weren't watching you'd have missed it. It was only Dedun and I left on the dark sidewalk. There was no trace of them in sight.
"And to think, all I originally wanted was to find out why there was a great white shark in Lake Michigan," I said dully.
"Oh, you have no need to worry about Undertow," said Dedun with a chuckle. "He is one of the good guys." With that, he started walking the direction I originally came from. "Come along, Gabi. We have training in the morning."
But all I could do was stare at Dedun's retreating form in stunned surprise. I wasn't sure which piece of trivia was more shocking to me. "The great white has a name?!"
***