10 Blind Dating

R E A G A N

I put a little curl in my hair. I slapped on some eyeliner and lipstick. I put on a pink and yellow-flowered sundress and cute little strappy sandals. I looked good. Damn good. The soft pink of my lipstick matched my dress and sun-kissed cheeks. I made a kissy face in the mirror. Ok, now I looked ridiculous.

I grabbed a lightweight white cardigan and slipped it on. I didn't want to appear too scandalous with spaghetti straps. Actually, I just didn't want my mom or Nate to comment on it.

Checking the time, I headed downstairs. My mom was bent over some papers at the kitchen counter. Nate was nowhere to be seen.

"Where are you going?" My mom asked, not looking up.

"On a date," I squeaked. I didn't want to rub it in her face.

Without lifting her eyes from work she said, "I hope Alec is taking you somewhere nice at least."

I stiffened, feeling ice slither through my veins. Alec was busy right now admiring the beauty that was Ella Pruitt.

I cleared my throat. "Actually, it's not with Alec."

This was enough to bring my mom from her reverie. She lifted her head and regarded me with a cool, calculating look. Her eyes roved over my dress and face, lingering on my freshly made-up face.

"And who exactly are you going out with then?" Her tone betrayed no emotion. Not anger. Not curiosity. Just the facts.

"This guy who graduated ahead of me, Pierce Lockhart."

Her eyes widened just a little. "Victor Lockhart's son?"

I shrugged. "I guess?"

"He's one of our clients," she said. "Real estate mogul. A real prick."

"Mom!"

My mom rarely talked about work with Nate or me. I heard about her complain about it enough with my dad, but never had I heard her call one of her clients a rude name.

"He thinks he's entitled to special treatment because his name is on a building downtown. His wife is nice enough, hopefully, this Pierce kid is more like her." She reached for her purse and grabbed her wallet. "In case he's like his father here's money for a cab."

"Mom, us kids take Uber these days," I quipped, not sure what else to say.

"Then here's money to reimburse you for Uber." She held out a few twenties. That would reimburse me for an Uber to Charlotte and back.

"I'm driving myself, Mom."

"Just take the damn cash, Reagan."

I stepped forward, tentatively taking the money. I had questions. A lot of questions about dating. Questions I'd never had before. I slipped the money into my little clutch purse and rubbed the back of my neck. My mom crossed her arms over her chest, waiting for me to spit it out.

"You don't think he's going to get, uh, handsy or anything, do you?" I rubbed my arm awkwardly, leaving goosebumps in the wake of my hand. "Like his dad?" I pried, wondering if that's what she meant by "entitled."

"Reagan, it will be fine." She practically snorted it out, like my concerns inconvenienced her. "His father doesn't get 'handsy.' And if this Pierce boy does, then stab him with a pen."

"Mom!" My voice jumped an octave. "I just wanted some dating advice." The words tumbled out. I'd be better off asking Mrs. Mason next door than my mom.

"Is that all? Alright, here's some advice. Don't get married until you're at least thirty. If you like this Lockhart boy, great, but he's not the only boy out there. Establish your own life, your own career, before settling. Because settle you will, Reagan. No one will ever be good enough." She grabbed her papers and spirited out of the kitchen.