11 Gummy Worms

A L E C

I'd been out on a few dates with Ella. We'd gone to a superhero movie, hung out at the beach, and even driven to a national park about an hour away to go hiking. It was easy to be with Ella. Almost as easy as it was to be with Reagan. As I readied myself for a barbeque at Ella's guilt washed over me. In the last two weeks, I had neglected Reagan.

We had seen each other, of course. I climbed through her window, she climbed through mine, but what had once been a daily occurrence had faltered. We'd spent only a few days together since that first date with Ella. I didn't want to be the guy who abandoned his friend for a girlfriend.

I grabbed my phone and texted Ella.

Sorry, short notice, but could I bring Reagan tonight? Dating bliss had turned me into a bad friend.

My phone chimed. OMG of course! Ella responded and included a series of emojis dancing and in party hats. I sent her a kissy face back and quickly opened a text for Reagan. BBQ tonight. UR coming

I stared at the screen, expecting an immediate reply. She had seen it. She kept typing, stopping, and then typing again. Finally, her response lit up my screen. No.

I want you there, Ella wants you there. I didn't want to make her angry. That had been her default mood lately. I wanted to tell her it wasn't my fault her date had gone sour but refrained. I didn't need her screaming at me.

Free food. Swimming. Games. Did I mention free food?

No. I'm tired.

Tired. She was always tired these days. It was clear code for she didn't want to hear about my dating life anymore. I wasn't going to buy that excuse today.

If you don't come, I'll tell your mom you need a mother-daughter weekend. As if Mrs. Bell would do it, but the threat worked. I received a text almost immediately after, Fine.

Bring a swimsuit, I instructed.

After I finished getting ready I went to Helen's room. She sat on her bed reading a celebrity magazine.

"You ready?" I asked. My whole family had been invited. My parents had left early to get some fancy Bundt cakes to bring. They insisted it was the polite thing to do. That left me with ferrying Helen to the party.

"Are you?" She looked up. "You've been hogging the bathroom long enough." She wore a baby blue wrap skirt and a bikini top.

"I hope you put sunscreen on," I said pointing to her bare midriff.

"Yes, Mom." She stuck her tongue out. "You afraid Mom and Dad will embarrass you in front of your new lady?"

"Not as much I am that you will."

"I don't think you're ready for the lifestyles of the wealthy."

Helen put a hand over her heart, feigning shock. "Dear brother, how could you think such things? I am always the perfect young lady."

I threw a stuffed hippo from her dresser at her. "Sure you are. Finish getting ready. Bathroom's free."

Helen moved past me, the smell of sunscreen and strawberry body spray wafting by with her.

My phone chirped at me. Despite how much we talked, I still got excited to see Ella's name on a text.

Does Reagan have a favorite dessert or snack or anything?

Chocolate cupcakes. I typed back without a moment's hesitation. Vanilla frosting with gummy worms on top.

Gummy worms in the frosting?