12 Shattered Glass

R E A G A N

Ella pulled me along behind her. We moved past the other guests, sometimes she said a quick hello before moving on, but mostly she ignored them and they ignored her. We entered the house through the sliding doors of the kitchen.

The kitchen was immaculate. Black marble countertops with cherry wood cabinets, some with glass doors, and stainless steel appliances. I didn't see a refrigerator though. I wondered if the Pruitts just had caterers come in for every meal. The countertops were covered in chafing dishes as the lead caterer moved around, issuing orders to the white-shirted, black tied minions with trays.

Ella said a quick hello and apologized for the intrusion as she headed to two large cabinet doors. When she opened them I whistled in wonder. The refrigerator doors were of the same cherry wood as the rest, blending them into the cabinets. Ella grabbed a plastic container and returned to me.

"These are specially for you. Sorry I wasn't able to get you anything fancier than the grocery store brand. I didn't have time to request cupcakes from the caterer."

The store-bought cupcakes were chocolate, with a white frosting with sprinkles, and gummy worms put on top. Alec told her what my favorite dessert was. I felt touched and betrayed all at once. This was a dessert we shared, something I never even ate in front of my family for fear of their ridicule at the oddness of it. It was something invented in the middle of the night during a childhood sleepover while we looked for a sugar fix. And he had shared it with Ella.

I couldn't be mad with her though. She was just being nice. It was a nice gesture, something to make me feel welcome. I still wanted to cry as I looked at the bright green, blue, red, and yellow worms against the white frosting.

"This is really sweet, Ella, thank you." I took a cupcake, holding it like it was a precious gem.

"I wanted you to feel welcome and comfortable here. So, I had these picked up for you. Feel free to come back in here and take more." She winked at me. "They're for you and you alone."

"You're going to spoil me."

She smiled, showing her dimples, a feature I never noticed before. It would be hard not to fall for her.

"You didn't have to go out of your way, I hope you know. There is plenty of food already."

"I know, but I wanted to."

I wish she hadn't. Maybe I could hate her then, pick her apart on why Alec should dump her. But I couldn't. I returned her smile, feeling my mouth almost force itself into one.

"I need to get back out and mingle, but like I said, feel free to come in whenever to get another. Or even just come to get away from people."

Ella left me standing alone in the kitchen with my cupcake. I wanted to throw it away, but I couldn't. Sighing, I peeled the cupcake paper away and took a bite as I walked outside. It tasted like defeat.

I headed for the pool area and found Helen sitting in the hot tub chatting with Ella as she walked by. I waited until Ella moved on before sitting on the edge of the hot tub. The hot water and jets tickled my calves.

"This is a pretty swank party, huh?" I toed Helen's shoulder.

She swatted my foot away. "I was born for this life."

"Yea? Well, I'm glad you're among your people now. Just don't forget me when you roll around on your piles of cash, ok?"

"I suppose I can remember you, Lady Reagan," she said in her most haughty tone. I splashed a little water at her with my foot.