Chapter 5

Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles split up with Shadow and Rouge to explore and look around the ruined future. The five decided that searching for a Chaos Emerald in the future— if there are any— might work to help them get back home. Knuckles was angry he didn't bring the second Chaos Emerald with him— the job would have been so much easier. But then again, Eggman could have taken the second Emerald, too, so another part of him was glad he didn't bring it.

But considering the circumstance he was in, he was angry at himself for not bringing it.

When it was first brought up that a Chaos Emerald could be found in the future, Tails discussed of all the possible time corruption that can happen if used and brought back to the present. The only way to make it work would be creating a time loop, meaning that once they found the Emerald and took it back, it would have to end up being in the same place so they can use it in the future they were sent to. Sonic assured Tails it would be fine, and Shadow even came up with the idea to only use the Emerald to get back home, but to not take it with and leave it in the future where it belongs. Only then did Tails agree to the plan.

Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles walked through the corridors of the ruined building they found hidden behind the steep walls of two cliffs. Nothing in there was in perfect condition whatsoever. Everything was dirty, dark, and rusty. The floors was cracked, the metal pipes had deep dents, and the walls were all discolored and dull. The only light provided was coming from the few fires that were flickering here and there. The trio was careful not to step on the flames, obviously so they don't accidentally burn themselves.

"No matter where we go," Knuckles shook his head, "All we see are ruins. How can this be our future?"

"How could it come to this?" Tails added, hoping to find an answer somehow.

Sonic kept walking, his shoulders slumped. His friends were asking the right questions. Why is their future like this? What was the cause of this tragedy? Where were they when they were needed to keep this from happening? Who even knows if the friends would've been alive for this, but it couldn't have been recent— this looked like years, even decades worth of damage.

The hedgehog looked up and saw a faint glow coming from one of the rooms down the hall. A gas was flowing from the room, and the slightly opened door leading to it had several notices and warnings on it. Sonic looked back at his friends and tilted his head towards it. Tails and Knuckles nodded, and the three made their way to the door as quietly as possible. As they got closer, they heard voices. The trio was surprised, especially since these voices would belong to the first people they'd come across that live in this destroyed world.

"If I eliminate that guy, will our world be saved?" Said a voice that sounded awfully familiar to Sonic.

When the blue hedgehog got to the door, he peeked inside, making sure whoever was in there didn't see him. His green eyes widened when he saw the white hedgehog who attacked him earlier, Silver, in there. Knuckles noticed him too, and he clenched his teeth. Tails placed his hand on Knuckles's shoulder to calm him down, making sure he doesn't run into the room to attack the white hedgehog. All three observed what was happening, trying to keep their reactions to themselves and remain unnoticed.

Next to Silver was a dark gray, almost black, hedgehog that creepily resembled Shadow. At first sight, Sonic thought that was in fact his buddy. But when he squinted to take a better look, he noticed that this mysterious hedgehog did not have the red stripes Shadow did— he had light gray ones. This hedgehog just looked like a dull version of his friend. There was an almost eerie atmosphere around him, and Sonic could feel that the aura around that new guy was definitely not good.