Chapter 8

It was noon. In the valleys near the coast, a train sped through on its tracks, traveling very fast. The wheels made a squeaky and annoying sound as they rolled on the rails, and the train's horn was echoing through the air.

Shadow chased the train from above the valley and ran across the ruins of the train stations, fighting Eggman's minions along the way. He found out that the mad doctor was inside the train, and luckily for him, the train was nearby when he found the information. So now he was running— well, skating with his rocket shoes— across the top of the platforms of the station, destroying any robots that dared to get in his way.

"I have to get to that train!" Shadow grunted to himself as he ran. "I can't let Eggman get away..."

When the ruins of the building ended, Shadow jumped off of the roof, landing on the ground of the valley. By the train track, he saw an abandoned motorcycle. An idea popped into his head, and he quickly approached the vehicle, checking if it still functioned properly. The engine turned on.

"Looks like it still works," he exhaled, kind of impressed that an abandoned motorcycle was still in good condition.

With a slight grin on his face, he mounted the vehicle and zoomed off.

I've gotta get to the front, he thought to himself.

Shadow sped past all the robots that were trying to stop him, avoiding attacks as they fired in his direction. One of the bots nearly hit the motorcycle's wheel, which would've been bad. Luckily for Shadow, that wasn't the case, and he managed to escape the mad doctor's minions.

The black hedgehog frowned as he got closer and closer to the front. He was ready to ambush Eggman and demand for information. Why would Eggman want Mephiles in the first place? What was he planning to do with Shadow's doppelgänger? Who even is Mephiles, and does Eggman even know? So many questions were crossing Shadow's mind as he drove, and his head was in slight pain from thinking too much. He didn't even know what he was going to say to the mad doctor. All he knew was that he needed information, and that was that.

Shadow moved closer to the moving train, and when the timing was right, he jumped off the motorcycle and landed on top of the train. The black hedgehog jumped up and crashed through the roof of the train, landing inside. There was a giant computer in the front of the small room in the train, and of course, a large chair with the mad doctor sitting on it.

"Wouldn't the door have been easier?" Eggman asked with a hint of sarcasm. The mad doctor turned his chair to face the person who arrived. He was shocked to see that it was Shadow. He assumed that his nemesis, Sonic, would be the one standing before him.

Shadow stared daggers at the old man, his red eyes lit with anger.

"So," Eggman scoffed, resting his head on his hand, "What do you want now? It was your fault the Scepter broke; are you about to blame this all on me?"

The black hedgehog ignored Eggman's stupid remarks, and he pointed at the mad doctor.

"Who is Mephiles," Shadow asked with an angry gruffness to his voice, "And why do you want to capture him?"

"My, my, aren't you angry," the mad doctor chuckled.

"Answer me, old fool," Shadow positioned himself into a fighting stance, ready to use violence of it came down to it.

An idea popped into Eggman's head. What if he talked Shadow into helping him retrieve Mephiles?

"Alright, you're so impatient and boring," the old man stood from his chair, facing the screen in front of him. "If you want to know who Mephiles is, go find him yourself."