Chapter 02

Quick reminder: please vote, comment and add this book to your reading list. Your support is the only way this book will earn more support. So if you liked this story so far, vote and don't hesitate to comment your opinions. Also it would mean a lot to me if you tell others about this story. I know I'm asking a lot but it would mean the world.

I squeal and try to break out of the deadly grip.

"Easy tiger," the person holding me whispers. And almost instantly, my body begins to relax. I turn around and meet the blue eyes of my boyfriend, Derek Weston. He smiles down at me. His eyes are like the sky of a bright summer day and make my heart skip a bit every time I look at them.

"It's you," I say sheepishly.

"Gotcha," he laughs, running a hand through his light brown hair, which looks blond in the daylight. A smile spreads on my face and I punch him lightly. "Jerk." I cross my arms and turn to leave.

"Kiara wait!" He calls my name but I don't stop and continue marching towards the school. I can hear the harmony of his laughter as he jogs to catch up with me.

It doesn't take his athletic self long to catch up with me. He wraps an arm around me. "Hey, I'm sorry." He makes a puppy face.

I smile behind the lock of my hair but continue pretending to be mad.

Derek and I met back in my sophomore year. I felt something toward this boy, but for the sake of my theory, I tried to ignore the ache. Later I got to learn that the feeling was both sided. And that's how we started dating from the summer that year.

He knows about my survival theory. Instead of making fun of it, he thinks the idea is very cute and appreciated my creativity.

Derek's very caring, loyal, nice, and sweet, unlike that douche Ashton. Even thinking about him puts me in a bitter mood.

Let me introduce you all to His highness here.

Ashton Fellan is the star player of our school's football team. Not only our team won all the matches last season under his leadership, but also managed to win the National trophy last year. And for the record, our school has never passed the preliminary round before.

Not only that, but he also has straight A in all subjects. So you might be thinking that he's the golden boy of the town, every parent's dream child, has all the teachers around the tip of his right pinky (he's a left-hander) and the Principal worships him.

Unfortunately- much to all's dismay- that's not the story here. Now let me help you to get past the mist and enter reality.

Ashton Fellan is cocky and conceited with an ego larger than Russia. He's a total prankster, a player, a douche, a heartbreaker, a troublemaker, a party king, the greatest manwhore of the century, (once stripped down in front of his whole art class so that they can make a portrait of his nude in his old school in New York or New Jersey; the reason he was expelled from that school and ended up at ours), accused of using drugs and selling condoms to the boys in the locker; even though there's no evidence of those events.

He became our Principal's archenemy when he tried to flirt with her daughter last year, who was a year ahead of us and thankfully out for college this year. According to the rumors, he went through all that trouble just to see the Principal's reaction.

But before Ashton, Derek was the second-best player and quarterback of our football team. Everyone knew he would be the team captain after Eric, our old captain leaves for college. Precisely two months before his graduation, Ashton Fellan walked into our lives with all his glories and claimed the crown.

He became Derek's rival when he removed him from the running back position of the team and gave it to his best friend, Owen.

I'm not going to complain about either of their playing skills, especially Ashton's- he is second to none. But it's not Derek's fault his family couldn't afford him a personal trainer for him from before he was born.

Because unlike Ashton, Derek comes from a middle-class family, they own three shops in our local market. Nonetheless, Derek is still proud of his parents unlike Ashton, who once drunkenly confessed he doesn't want his parents to come to his game. For what reason, I don't know.

So by now, you might be thinking he has all the girl's fallen over his feet.

Sadly it's real life, not some chick-flick movie of the late twenties.

Half of the student body hates him. Most because they envy him.

The girls hate him either because he tried to flirt with them or because he's overshadowing their boyfriends. It's stupid, yet a reason to hate him.

However- for some unfortunate reasons- all these pranks and douche-ness still haven't laid a finger on his perfect grades or his football skill.

Although eighty percent of teachers hate him, they are forced to announce after every test that Ashton Fellan has come at the top of the class once again. Even though no one ever sees him studying or paying attention to the classes.

Speaking of the devil, Ashton is currently occupied leaning on the hood of his million dollars car with his group of minions surrounding him. I bet his parents will sue him if they leave an itty-bitty scratch on that baby. But after knowing him this long, I don't think they will care less.

Unlike half the girls in our school, I have many more reasons to hate him. One of them includes an ex-best-friend-now-archenemy on mine who's a member of his A-team fling.

Currently, she's practically sitting on his lap wearing a skirt ten times smaller than her, caked with heavy makeup. She started wearing contact lenses so no one can dare to call her that nerd of Middle School ever again.

I wonder who's the changed one here.

Still, I don't get why all the cheerleaders' uniforms have to be this short along with every other clothing they own.

A smirk rises in the corner of  Ashton's face when he sees us passing by.

"Better luck this year dude," he cackles and pats Derek on the shoulder before walks past us, completely ignoring my existence. His henchmen laugh and all follow him.

"Douches." I scowl when they're all gone.

Derek laughs. "Don't bother your pretty head with them. They're not worth it."

The way Derek's smiling might seem suspicious, but I'm used to it. It's nothing new, Ashton, making fun of Derek. But he always laughs and brushes him off.

Yet, there's something different about the laugh today. He sounds more confident than he ever was.

"Come on now, we need to get our routine and check on your newspaper's sale."

"What newspaper sale?" I stare at him. He lifts a brow. "Shit! I almost forgot!"

Our newspaper committee is publishing an issue called Summer of the School this year, where many students submitted articles about the places they went this summer, including every member of the committee. The paper is supposed to be published today.

"You know there are only ten minutes left before homeroom. And we haven't picked our schedules yet," Derek reminds me.

I blink. "Sorry, so many thoughts in one head," I say and grab his arm and drag him inside with me, making our way through the crowd.

Derek laughs overwhelm my ears. "Here's my old Kiara back."

I blush and can't help the smile as we run towards the office room.

📸

Say hi to Grisbee ^^^