Chapter Nine

I'm not a murder. This has to be a dream. I don't kill people, I'm not like this. This is not me. Judge Harrison's words rattled in my head. That I no one would love me...I ruined something. What could I possibly do to deserve this? What do I ruin that people are trying kill me? Why do I fuck everything up? Why can I do one thing right for once in my life?! I try to calm down; I look at the gun that I still have in my hands. I put the gun to my temple, but then Sam comes into my mind. I throw the gun into the side of the building and the piece of shit gun shatter when it came in contact. Tears fill my eyes. I scream, running my hand through my hair in dismay.

---------------------------------------

Outside the moon shines so brightly it is almost blinding. The stars, though few in the city, twinkle in the sky and I even think I saw a shooting star go by. The crisp October air bit. I pulled out a cigarette and light it in the parking lot of the hospital and get a couple of puffs in before I go in to see her.

When inside I ask the nurse for Sam Isbell in room 112. The nurse guides me upstairs and leads me to her room. 

"She is still asleep, are you sure you don't want to-"

"No," I say to the nurse, "I'll can wait, thank you."

She nods and says "Okay." She smiles and walks away. I open the door and step inside. I close the door quietly and turn around. 

Sam lays soundly asleep. I grab a chair and pull it over to the side of the bed. I study her facial features. She is really short but she has a medium build. She has a heart shaped-face. Her eyes lashes are really long and her nose looks a lot like Izzy's. Her lips are full darkish red and her long brunette hair is messed up but still looks really beautiful some how. I see her hand at her side. I slowly, gently hold her hand trying not to wake her, but she woke up anyway.

"Ax?" I think she says.

"What did you say?" I ask.

"...I didn't say anything..." she says seemly like she covered up a mistake. "Have you been here the whole time, Bill?"

"I..." I start but then she looks closely at me. She touches the bandage just barely showing under my shirt.

"Oh my God. What happened?" she asks but then she realizes what happened exactly. "You didn't-"

"Sam, it's okay! The bullet only skinned me a little."

"How could you do something like that behind my back. They could have killed you! They-"

"But they didn't," I say. "...They almost killed you. I wasn't going to them get away with that."

"...So what happened? How did you even know where to go?"

"The wallet that I found had an address in it. When I went to L.A. I found it. I searched through the air ducts and found out it was the right place. While crawling out of the ducts a guy was waiting for me outside and hit me over the head. When I woke up I was tied up. I tricked the guy that was going to take me to a trail to decide my fate and escaped. I found the room that the trial. When they asked for me to be brought in I shot the judge and everybody was shooting at me but I was faster than all of them. The judge shot me but just barely hit in the shoulder. And then..." I stop.

"What is it?" Sam asks softly.

"He said I would ruin everything and I would lose everyone I care about...I kick the rest of life out of him. I got a time remote and run out of there...I started to think if he was right...I had a gun pointed at my head...but then I thought about you and I thought that if I was going to have someone like you who would go back into just to risk her life just to save me, life is worth living through all this shit..." Tears filled Sam's eyes and she smiles. "I threw the gun at the wall and came back here. I put a bandage on my shoulder and came here as fast as I could."

"Bill," she starts to cry, "I..." I wrap my arms around her tightly and she does the same. She let's go and then so do I. I run my hand through her long soft hair. She looks down and put my hands on her cheeks and wipe away her tears with my thumbs. "It's okay," I coo. I look at her lips again and she looks at mine. I close my eyes and kiss her.

---------------------------------------

The next day I sneak Sam out of the hospital so she can return home with her brother. I wish I could remember what we said on that car trip but it was so long ago that I don't remember it anymore. It took eight hours to get back to Lafayette but seemed like only eight minutes to me. I meet up with Izzy at Anna's house. Sam and Brandon left and I have not seen them since. That night my sister and I were beating up pretty badly, but I knew in the end it was going to be worth it. I almost didn't mind it at all. My life went back to normal as imperfect and fucked up as it is, it was my normal.