Chapter Six: There's a giant douchebag!

(Y/N)'s POV

Immediately when I walked into the clearing I noticed that the lake provided a gorgeous view. We had even found something we could use as a shelter. It was a a large rock sticking out from the ground with smaller ones around it. This is perfect for a shelter, it does most of the work for us.

"Ooo, looks like a cave." Daniel said. "Kind- kind of spooky..."

Sean was walking around it, examining the structure. "No, actually... It's kinda perfect."

"I agree, it could shelter us from rain and whatever. We just have to set up the blanket and get a fire going." I smiled, maybe things won't go too bad tonight after all.

Sean put his backpack on the floor and zipped it open. Daniel gave us a weird look. "We're gonna stay in there? I dunno."

Sean sighed. "Come on, Daniel. Look, this can be our secret base!

Daniel seemed interested now, humming in thought. "I bet we could stop any orcs from capturing us in here."

"Cool! In that case, we definitely need to get a fire going first like (Y/N) suggested. Right?"

"Right! Yes!" Daniel exclaimed, then turning to look to the rest of the forest. "Uh... So what do we need?"

I thought for a moment. "We need you to build a fort to keep out orcs, trolls, just about anything. Me and Sean will take care of finding wood for the fire. How's that sound Danny?"

"Yes! I can build traps, too! Nothing will get to us!"

Sean nodded along. "Awesome dude."

"I know." Daniel said matter-o-factly before he walked away to gather stuff for his fort and traps.

Sean began unpacking his backpack, laying the large blanket onto the floor.

Starting to open mine I turned back to Sean to ask a question, but watched him as he pulled out a familiar piece of paper and stared at it gloomily. With a sigh I moved over to sit next to him, pushing his hands from his view and hugging his side. "Sean... You can't keep looking at that newspaper clipping. It will only make you feel even more resentful."

He didn't say anything for a while, but eventually he looked down to me. "(Y/N), I can't help but-"

Moving his backpack away I kneeled in front of him, lightly putting my hand on his shoulder. "Yes, I know... And it's completely okay to be sad Sean. What happened was horrible... And unforgettable." He stared down to the dirt, avoiding my face. "But this piece of paper..." I reached down and gently took it from his grasp. "It's not going to help you." Sean glanced up to me. "But I will."

He gave a relieved smile, taking me by surprise when he hugged me. "Thank you for being here. I don't know what I'd do if you weren't."

Hugging tightly back I responded, "of course, that's what best friends are for."

Me and the boys sat on top of the rock structure with our legs dangling over the ledge. I looked out to the lake, watching the rippling water and swaying trees.

"It's beautiful." Daniel commented.

"Pretty amazing, huh?" Sean said softly. "See? It's not so bad here in the forest."

We laid on our backs, staring blankly to the sky. "What do the clouds look like to you guys?

Daniel was the first to answer. "I don't know, cotton candy?"

"That's it?" Sean snickered. "Cotton candy?"

"I dunno, what do you see Sean?"

"A dragon!" He answered.

I raised a brow in confusion. "What??"

Sean shook his head, pointing to the clouds. "There's the tail, the horns, and the fangs! And the smoke coming out of his mouth."

I squinted my eyes in an attempt to see what he saw. "I guess I'm starting to see it..?"

Sean nudged me. "And what do you see?"

"Hm..." I paused. "I see a dog. There's it's floppy ears, and wagging tail."

"Well," he cleared his throat. "I guess I'm starting to see it." Sean mocked.

"Hey!" I shoved his shoulder. "Don't mock me!"

Daniel quickly cut into the conversation to make a joke of his own. "Oo, I see something else! There's a giant... Douchebag!"

Sean seemed very unamused. "Oh yeah? Where?"

Daniel took his finger and pointed to Sean with a giggle. "Right here."

I laughed quietly as the two boys tussled around. "Right here, huh?" Sean tried to tickle Daniel, but he wiggled out of his grasp.

After they calmed down Sean sat up. "C'mon. Let's go eat something."

I quickly got up. "Yes! I'm starving."

"Maybe if you didn't talk so much you'd burn less calories." Sean joked.

"Rude!"

Daniel was running down to the lake, grabbing a stick and yelling something along the lines of, "I'm coming for you Mr. Fish!"

Sean was drawing by the lake while I tried encouraging Daniel. He had tried to hunt down the fish using a pointy stick, so I gave him something else to occupy himself with. "You can do it, you just need a flatter rock." I looked around before picking one up. "Here, like this one. Then you just hold it like this..." I showed him the correct throwing position. "And bam!" I threw it, the rock skipping twice before sinking.

"Oh, I get it. My turn!" He excitedly picked one up.

"Why are you guys having all the fun without me?" Sean came up from behind us.

"You were busy being nose deep in that sketchbook of yours." I rolled my eyes sarcastically. "But by all means, join us. Daniels about to do his second try."

Daniel threw the rock, but once again failed to skip it.

Sean shook his head in amusement. "You have to spin your wrist when you throw, we're not playing softball, we're skipping rocks."

After a few more tries Daniel was able to successfully skip the rock. "Yes! You did it!" I gave him a high five. "You're awesome Danny."

***

Word count: 1,006