A Long Way Down

SINCERE

It has been three of the longest weeks of my life

It has been three of the longest weeks of my life. I felt like I was a cast member in "The Invasion of The Body Snatchers." Everything that I had built was being threatened. But, not by outsiders. My OWN family was threatening to bring me down and ruin my peace of mind. I knew three weeks ago when I opened that door, I should have slammed it in their faces. But, no, I just had to see them...

THREE WEEKS AGO...

It was dinnertime and everyone was getting ready as if it were a black tie event. The chef had prepared a feast similar to Thanksgiving for us all. I wanted to sweeten the deals I was trying to make with Jaycen and Deray collectively. As I stood in the middle of the foyer listening to the string quartet I hired for the evening, I felt a chill in my bones. I could feel something significant was about to happen. The doorbell rang and I walked over to open it. I gasped as I stared into their faces. Although, they looked older and little weary, they still appeared to be the same.

"Good evening, Sincere," Michelle said, as she smirked at me

"Good evening, Sincere," Michelle said, as she smirked at me. "I brought some people to see you."

"What the HELL are THEY doing here?"

"Oh, William, is that any way to talk to your parents," my mother asked in a condescending tone. "Besides, it looks like we arrived just in time."

I scoffed, "For what?"

"For dinner, fool," my father said, as he pushed past me into the house. "Smells like Thanksgiving up in here."

I sighed deeply as I glared at Michelle. The look on her face told me everything that I needed to know. She had planned this. What she didn't know was that just like her, I had a deep, dark secret of my own about our dear old mother and father. It was a secret that I had been running from since I packed my bags and left their home ten years ago. I turned to look at my father.

"This is a dinner for invitation-only. You weren't invited," I tried to keep my voice steady and strong, as my father sized me up. "Can you please just leave?"

"Oh, you think you're hot shit now, huh? I guess you think that because you are grown and a little chiseled, that I won't still knock your ass out," he stepped toward me, as Michelle and my mother watched. "You are still my son, boy. Don't you forget it."