Chapter 7 - "Do you expect a trap?"

The clouds cracked open and a shard of moonlight fell over the quiet docks. The night was an hour away from tipping into dawn. The taverns were closing up, drunken sailors sent on their staggering ways. A balmy breeze drifted off the ocean and stirred up the smell of fish and salt, swirling it in the air around Isla.

She held up a scrap of parchment, using the slice of moonlight to study the sketch on it one more time. What was depicted on it was a drawing of a chest not much bigger than a loaf of bread with the carving of an oak tree on the top. A chest that they were hired to retrieve.

As the moon ducked behind a bank of clouds once more, Isla folded the paper and tucked it away. Beside her, Hawk peered through an eyeglass, surveying their target. Lanterns from neighboring buildings gave off a flickering orange light, casting orbs of illumination on their surroundings.

"Berth thirty-two," Hawk said, handing over the glass.

Resting her elbows on the stack of crates, Isla looked through the scope. A ship made from a black stained wood leaped into focus. In the darkness it looked barely more than a shadow, hovering above the water. A single sailor, leaned against the railing, a trail of gray smoke from a pipe giving his position away. Slowly, Isla scanned the rest of the ship, looking for signs of life. The man at the railing remained the only one in sight.

She lowered the glass, still gazing at the distant ship. The night's work before her didn't seem impossible only like an unwanted distraction. Two days had already passed since Raif had given up the emerald's supposed location. Two days spent with the information needling her, while they remained anchored in the same harbor. Two days of spying on this particular ship in order to steal its cargo. It had been two days too many.

"I only spotted one sentry," she said.

Hawk nodded. "I sense they will have a second, if not a third as well." He pointed to the rear of the ship where the railing rose too high to be able to make out a human if one was there. "On the stern, you're likely to encounter at least one more lookout."

Isla lifted the glass again, brushing over the ship one more time. When she handed the glass to Hawk, he accepted it. A breath of silence passed between them. To their right the gentle lapping of water against stone continued, beating out odd, uneven rhythms. The creaking of wood was added to the night's ocean lullaby as masts swayed in the wind. Isla removed a pocket watch and studied the worn, scratched face.  She brushed her thumb over it, wiping away the flecks of water that clung there.

"Orin and the others should be here in a minute," she said.

Hawk hummed in reply, his keen eyes still locked on the ship.

"I would start with the cargo hold." He looked at her, his dark brown eyes glowing with the reflection of lantern light. "But if it's of the value we suspect it may be in the captain's quarters."

"Understood."

She handed him the watch, then pulled off her coat, draping it over the splintering crates. Though warm, the coat would be necessary later. Crouching, she tugged off her boots and settled them beside Hawk. Beneath her bare feet, the stone was slick with water and chilled her toes.

As she prepared, Hawk watched with wary eyes. Despite all he knew and had seen her do, there was still an instinctual parental feeling he held for her. The feelings Hawk displayed weren't unknown to Isla, but she ignored him, not wanting his worry.

"It's time," he said, glancing at the watch.

From beside her coat, she grabbed a length of thin rope attached to a three-pronged hook not much bigger than two fists. The metal had been wrapped in cloth to mute the sound. Isla secured it around her waist, the cushioned hook resting against her thigh.