Chapter 28 - "We are going to Loria."

The low murmur of voices was like the ocean's song, comforting and familiar. Still hanging on the edge of dreams, Isla imagined she could hear the sound of her father's voice in the quiet rumbling of conversation. She stirred.

"Papa," she mumbled, needing him.

A gentle hand stroked her hair. He had come back to her.

Isla opened her eyes and stared up into a pair she had known all her life. But it was not the ones see longed to see. A strand of grief twisted in her chest.

Perched on the edge of her bed, Hawk studied her, seeing the moment of clarity and the emotions that followed. The lines fanning out from his eyes deepened with worry.

"I'm fine," Isla said, her voice raspy.

Hawk knotted his hands and leaned over his knees. "You were beaten, cut and unconscious. From the bump on the back of your head, I was afraid you might not wake."

Isla reached for her leg, feeling between the ripped fabric of her pants to the stitched up slash. It throbbed but the severity of the pain had gone away. Grateful, she relaxed into the comfort of her bed. When she peered around her cabin, she found that it was crowded with half the crew. Everyone from Bin to Orin to Roland watched her from across the room, their concern as prominent as Hawk's.

"I'm alive," she amended.

Chuckles and relieved smiles passed between the men. It was only as the tension dissipated that Isla realized it must have been heavy between them, one more companion in the room that set everyone else on edge. Isla propped herself up on her elbow. As she tried to push herself up, Bin rushed forward.

"Easy now," he said.

He assisted her, until she was upright, legs dangling off the side of the mattress. Isla pressed her hands into the bed, gathering herself together. Though out of the worst of it, she was far from steady.

An invisible hand knocked against her head as little fists beat tattoos across her body. Roland appeared before her and knelt, holding a glass of water. As she accepted the gift, she met his amber eyes. Where she expected to see worry, she found unwavering calm. His faith in her hadn't altered.

After Isla drained the glass, she surveyed the men waiting. As she locked with each of their gazes, she was met with the same steady respect that had always been there. They were seeing her at her worse and yet it changed nothing. Isla's throat tightened, overwhelmed by their unflinching support. Holding in her emotions, she swallowed and cleared her throat.

"We will leave for Gadolphie tonight. See that we have enough supplies to last awhile. Once we reach our destination we will not remain long."

The men all nodded and bustled out the door to prepare for departure. When the last of them were gone and the door was shut, Isla sagged under the lie.

"What is in Gadolphie?" Hawk asked.

Staring at the floor, Isla shook her head. "Nothing. We are going to Loria." She raised her head. "I need you to make sure Trager is aware that we intend to sail to Gadolphie and assign him a task that gives him a reason to get off the ship." She sighed, her heart heavy. "Then have Brockton tail him. I need to be certain of his betrayal before we act." 

Hawk rose. "I'll see to it." He paused. "What lies in Loria?"

Weary, Isla rubbed her eyes. "The end, I hope."

Hawk laid a hand on her shoulder, drawing her focus up to his understanding brown eyes. Where he could have spoken, given words of reassurance and false promises of the future, he didn't. Instead he let his presence speak for him. She nodded as if he had said all she needed to hear. He dropped his hand and Isla straightened, feeling the soreness in her ribs.