Chapter 31 - "You could say I have been stolen."

"Remember to think of the memory," Raif whispered into Isla's ear, his breath fanning across her skin.

Holding onto to the blip of happiness, Isla felt her face relax. As they descended the stairs, the music resumed as did the conversations though the eager and curious tones were new.

With each step, Isla was aware of the interested gazes that captured her. Along with the intrigue was the subtle envy that rippled out from the woman of the Court. Raif had not given her the full truth. There was venom in some of these woman's eyes.

Before Isla and Raif could be pounced upon by inquisitive nobles, the mass of glittering gowns and tailored suits parted revealing the Prince and Princess.

They were was striking pair, prince Thayer with his black hair, sharp Lorian features beside Eldin princess Gigi with her satin brown skin and luminous blue eyes.

When she saw Raif, the princess beamed. It was an expression so open and familiar, Isla realized that Raif was considered more than simply a fellow nobleman, they were friends.

"Raif," Gigi said. "Where have you been? We have been worried about you. We heard rumors that you had been stolen."

Raif smiled at Isla in a manner that was both teasing and awe-struck.

"You could say I have been stolen."

Isla dug her fingers into his arm while she worked to keep her annoyance from showing.

"Oh," Gigi said. "How did..." She stopped, lost for words.

"Your highness, princess," Raif said, inclining his head to them. "Allow me to introduce Lady Isabella to you."

"It is a pleasure to meet you," Thayer said, bowing his head to Isla.

In return, she lowered into an elegant curtsy, hearing Raif's voice in her head. "If you can learn to curtsy on a rocking ship then you will never fail to curtsy on land."

"We are delighted to meet you," Gigi said, smiling at Isla in welcome. "Now tell us, where have you been?"

This statement stirred the people around them as nobles tried to shift closer without giving themselves away for eavesdropping. Isla wanted to glare at them all, to send them scurrying away, but Raif laid his hand over hers, a silent reminder that her presence here was for a reason.

"I was indeed taken from my ship," Raif said. "I was then rescued by Lady Isabella who was traveling back to her home in Lithia."

Isla wondered if they would question how she had known Raif needed rescuing, but Raif kept talking, smoothly hindering any questions.

"Isabella kindly offered me passage to Vorin but we were hit by a storm and the ship took serious damage, leaving us stranded as the ship was repaired."

He turned his attention to Isla, donning an affectionate look that had women around them steaming and trying to bore holes into Isla with their eyes.

"In that time we got to know each other. When she told me she had never been to the palace or the King's festival I invited her to come with me that she may be able to see it at least once."

"This can not be true," Thayer said. Isla tensed and Raif squeezed her hand. "Raif, you have found someone who you care for?"

Gigi laughed and Isla relaxed.

"I would not have thought it possible as well," Gigi said.

"It is the truth," Raif said, softening his words.

His tone grated against Isla. She hated his sentimental inflection, the one that made him sound as if he were made of putty, easily molded to someone's will. It was not true and it was not the man she knew. The man she knew was steel. A fierce storm.