The Truth

Isla leaned against the ship railing, staring out over the city. The sun crept towards the horizon, pulling in its wake streamers of peach, rose gold, and violet. Seagulls glided on the breeze overhead. The thrum of voices and carriage wheels on stone blended to form a lively melody.

The peace around Isla contrasted with the thumping of her heartbeat.

"Are you aware of how reckless this is?" Hawk asked.

Isla didn't look away from the bustling docks.

"I am. I told him that, but he has insisted."

"There's no talking him out of this?"

Isla cast Hawk a pointed look. "Have you ever tried to change his mind?"

No response came. Isla took a deep breath. It was reckless, she knew this. There were so many reasons why they shouldn't continue forward. An even wiser decision would be to raise the anchor and set sail. But she knew she couldn't do that.

The steady rhythm of footsteps climbed the steps and approached the motionless pair. At the sound, Isla felt her heart lurch to the side. She knew that tread better than she would ever admit.

"Are you ready?" Raif asked.

The simple answer was no. But that was also something she would never admit to.

"Are you aware of the danger you're walking into?" Hawk asked arms crossed, his concern only ever for Isla.

"There is no chance of danger here," Raif said.

"There is always a chance of danger when it comes to us."

"Even if that is true, my faith in Isla's abilities have kept fear at bay."

At the smirk and confidence in his voice, Isla put her back to the city. The nobleman she'd once kidnapped was nowhere to be seen, only an unshaven, rugged-looking Raif. The collar of his shirt lay open and she wondered if he did that to tease her. Or distract her. Either way, both goals were accomplished.

"Is this truly wise?" she asked, not showing that he could distract her or that she wanted to run her fingers through his wild mane of hair.

"I made a promise," Raif said, sobering. "And you made a promise to me."

She had, but still Isla struggled against the uncertainty gnawing at her. There were too many unknowns. Too many bad conclusions.

"Then I will keep it," she said. She looked to Hawk. "Keep the ship safe. You, the crew, that is what matters. If anything happens...you know what must be done."

Though she'd made Hawk promise he would see to the safety of the crew and way anchor if it came to it, Isla knew he'd never leave her behind. Hawk nodded. Isla followed Raif off the ship. Waiting at the edge of the gangplank stood a boy clutching the reins of a bay stallion. Isla paused.

"Where is my horse?" She asked.

Grinning, Raif hoisted himself into the saddle with breathless ease and held out a hand to her.

"It's right here," he said.

She shook her head.

"I want my own."

"I knew you would, but I didn't get one for you for many reasons. One of the main reasons is if you decide to change your mind about coming with me, you'll have to walk back."

Isla planted her hands on her hips. "I'm perfectly capable of walking."

Her defiance spark mischief in Raif's eyes. "True, but it would mean you'd arrive at the ship alone and without a horse, telling the crew that you did not keep your promise. I believe your pride will keep you on the horse."