Chapter 11 - "I'm going to kill him."

Dawn broke into the sky, rolling out carpets of lavender, dusty pink, peach and strands of copper. As the rays crested the horizon the West Isles became haloed in its light. With each rising stream of yellow the buildings took on definition.

Isla stood behind the wheel, soaking in the scene like she was observing a painter at work. On a ridge keeping watch over the city was a palace made out of white stone, arches, balconies and domed roofs turning molten gold.

The deck of the ship was quiet, they were still far enough away that Isla could savor the morning by herself without the tumult of docking preparations. She breathed in the air, even from a distance she would smell the tang of an abundance of fruit trees. As the day take took on its full form, the turquoise water took on a crystal clarity.

From below, Bin emerged. He joined Isla absorbing the sight of his home. The two companions remained in silence, neither feeling the need to break the beauty before them with words. When the ports were given distinction, Isla sent Bin to retrieve the rest of the crew. Before he left, she halted him.

"What port will get me closet to Lord Ellis's holding?" she asked.

Bin pointed to the far East side of the city. "The Eddin port will be best."

Isla nodded and Bin descended the stairs to rouse the crew. The ship ran parallel to the land getting a landscape view. The buildings were all made from beige, tan and white stone like they were acting as a canvas to the nature surrounding them.

Trees with pearl white, willowy trunks that were adorned in robes of cobalt, magenta, emerald, violet, and lemon dominated the city. As Isla gazed out on riot of color, she imagined if there was an afterlife it would look like the West Isles.

Whether it was the early hour or the small size of the port, the dock was quiet. It was as if the crew that moved about were the only living souls. After final commands were given out, Isla and Hawk followed Bin off the ship.

The further they got from the sea the stronger the scent of jasmine became. It poured out of the creamy blossoms that clung to walls. The fragrance was tangled with the sweet citrus perfume of the fruit trees that was trapped in the breeze.

Despite the nearness of the ocean, the city held a dry heat as if the sand that swirled about and filled every crack had stolen the moisture from the air. The only relief from the persistent warmth was the gentle winds that scurried through the streets like wild children teasing hair and brushing clothes.

By the time that the trio arrived at a tenant house towards the heart of the city, Isla could feel grains of sand burying themselves in her boots and coating her clothes. The building before them was a light brown like fresh dirt, trees with mustard and aqua foliage hugged the sides, acting as sentinels. Before they entered, they all dusted off the sand from their clothes.

The tenant house's first floor was a wide, open space filled with rounded tables circled by mismatched chairs, a bar on one side and a doorway leading to the kitchen beside it. The clang of pots and the murmur of voices could be heard from the other side. The place had a homey aroma of freshly baked bread mixed with the faint smell of ale.

"Mara," Bin said, his deep voice ringing around the empty space.

The noise from the kitchen stilled. After a breath, the door swung back and a plump woman in her forties with reddish-blonde hair stepped out. When her green eyes alighted on Bin, a smile made of pure surprise and delight cut across her face. Bin's own face mirrored hers, the lines by his eyes bunching together.

"Bin!"

Mara raced towards her husband and he wrapped her up in his arms, kissing her and making color bloom on her round cheeks. Isla looked the other way, offering what little privacy she could to the reunited couple.