Chapter Two

BUMUKAS ang elevator. Nagsimula nang lumakad papasok ng elevator si Ryan, ngunit napatigil siya nang makilala kung sino ang nasa loob niyon.

Ngumiti ang matanda sa kaniya. "Good morning, Mr. Mendez. How was your meeting at FJF yesterday?" tanong nito.

Pumasok muna siya sa loob ng elevator bago magsalita. He pressed a button and the door closed.

"Sir, I'm very sorry, but I can't do this project," sabi niya.

Napaharap sa kaniya si Mr. Cruz. "What do you mean you can't do this project? I thought you were very sure that you can do this. What is the reason for your sudden change of mind?"

"I've met the vice president of FJF. She said that they have no interest in our offer. I said that I will not leave the office until I am done discussing every single detail of our offer. But Ms. Varientos was very persistent on making me leave the company. She does not want to hear anything from me. I'm sorry, Mr. Cruz, but I don't want to work with that kind of person," litanya ni Ryan.

"Have you met her before? Other than yesterday, I mean," tanong ng matanda.

Napakunot ang noo niya sa tanong nito. "Huh?" wala sa sariling tanong niya rito.

Ngumiti si Mr.Cruz. "Just answer my question."

"Yes. I was on my way home at two in the morning riding a taxi. Noong tumigil saglit sa pagmamaneho ang driver ng taxi na sinasakyan ko, biglang sumakay si Ms. Varientos. She was too drunk to notice that I am already inside that taxi."

Tinapik-tapik siya sa balikat ni Mr. Cruz habang tila nagpipigil ng tawa. "There were only two kinds of Fs: Fate and Faith. You know, Mr. Mendez, you will meet a special person in a very much unexpected time and ways. Pwedeng makakilala ka ng tao sa pormal na paraan, ngunit pwede rin naman sa paraan na hindi mo inaasahan. Believe me, been there, done that, blah-blah. That is called fate or destiny. Doon naman papasok ang faith. You have to believe that the person you meet can make a difference in your life. I'm putting my trust on you, Mr. Mendez. Please, do not disappoint me. I know you can do it."

Bumukas ang pintuan ng elevator at nauna nang lumabas ang matanda. Iniwanan siya nitong nalilito sa mga iniwan nitong salita.

Dumiretso si Ryan sa kaniyang opisina. Hindi mawala sa isipan niya ang sinabi ng presidente. Bakit kasi kailangan pang dumaan ako sa vice president nila. Pwede namang diretso na kaagad sa president para mas mabilis ang proseso.

He grabbed the telephone and dialed her secretary's telephone number.

"Hello, Sir Ryan, what can I do for you?" tanong ng sekretarya niya sa kabilang linya.

"Cecille, could you please call the secretary of the vice president of FJF? Set a meeting with Ms. Varientos."

"Okay, Sir."

"Thanks, Cecille."

"You're welcome, Sir."

He ended the call. Umupo siya sa kaniyang upuan at napangiti.

Magkikita pa tayo, Ms. Varientos.

"GOOD morning, Ma'am Harmony," bati ng sekretarya niya sa kaniya.

Ngumiti siya rito. "Good morning din sa 'yo. May kailangan ka ba?"

"Ma'am, I will just remind you of your 10 A.M, 2:30 P.M, and 4 P.M meetings today."

"Oh, okay. What are the details of the meetings?"

"Your 10 A.M meeting will be with Mr. Tan about the new franchise in Novaliches. Two in the afternoon is with Mr. Mendez and the last one is with our Admin Officers."