Chapter 9: Ravagers

Quiet as a mouse, I slowly rise to my feet. His hand is gripped tight around the rope, leaving less than a foot between us. Whatever's out there - it wants to pick me off.

I scan the long grass, but there's nothing. It's a dark moonless night, and I can only hear my breath.

A gust of wind hits, and the air over my ears is deafening. It could use the noise as cover to sneak up behind us. I whip around, but there's nothing.

A twig snaps, and I almost jump out of my skin. That wasn't us. Something's out there, and it's close. I never thought I'd be so thankful that Rahlan is standing beside me. He'll kill it.

I follow his gaze back to our trail. The wind blows again, making the long grass move in waves. It reveals a dark protuberance behind the stalks, and my heart stops. It slips out of view the second I spot it.

An eerily cackle breaks the silence, and a dark figure rises from the grass where I stood just moments ago. I step back beside Rahlan.

The figure has long uncut hair. It obscures his face, but I catch a glimpse of his eyes – red. He's a vampire, but his body is crooked, and his skin is dry and sunken into his skull, not allowing his lips to meet.

"All of you," Rahlan says.

The figure spits on the ground, making me flinch. Out of nowhere, another one rises. Dark hair and crooked figure, just like the first. They're joined by a third, and I gulp.

Rahlan points his sword in their direction.

"We don't want you," the figure hisses. His scratchy voice sounds like he's smoked tobacco for decades. "We're just here... for a snack," he clicks his tongue on the k and his gaze lands on me, sending a chill down my spine.

"Get lost," Rahlan spits.

The figure takes in a breath and draws his short sword. "Your choice."

Rahlan's hand lands on my shoulder, and the other two circle around us, positioning themselves on all three sides. Their gait is uneven and unnatural, like they don't have full control over their muscles.

Rahlan keeps two in his view, his gaze alternating between them. I stand with my back to his, watching the third. I fish the metal eyeball flask out the bag on my back. The thought of it disgusts me, but I couldn't care less at the moment. It's better than nothing.

The one facing me draws his sword and bares his jagged teeth. It wants to bite me. I shudder and tighten my grip on the flask.

One charges. Rahlan shoves me to the ground and lunges to the left. The figure runs between us, and Rahlan strikes his back. He shrieks and waves his sword, but Rahlan parries and kicks him back.

The man regains his balance and shoots forward. Their blades meet again. Rahlan weaves his curved blade around the man's sword and rips it out his hands.

Cold fingers wrap around my arm and yank me back. I scream and flail, losing my grip on the awkwardly shaped flask. Rahlan whips around and swings his sword just over my head, making the monster hiss and let go.

He drives it back, but the third is charging from his blind spot.

"Behind you!" I shout.

Rahlan jumps to his left, and the man strikes the place where he once stood, almost as if he didn't see the movement. Their eyes lock and their blades meet. Rahlan wraps his curved sword around the man's blade and disarms him too.

The figures back off and group together. One still has his short sword, but the other two have to resort to their daggers. One of them is holding his arm – an injury from Rahlan's blade.