Chapter 5: I didn't even notice

A/N: part of this story was inspired by this story up above!

You sigh as Robert comes up to you. You lean on your rake. You shut your eyes and then open them. You really don't want to see him because your afraid you'll embarrass yourself. He blinks expecting you to say something but you don't open your mouth just stare blankly at him. 

"Y/N are you okay?" Robert asks you concern growing in his eyes. 

"Yes I'm fine. I'm just tired." You respond reassuringly.

"Okay good. You don't look to happy." He says to you. He gently touches your forearm. He pats it and then draws his hand calmly back like you were a timid animal. You were trying your best not to blush and inside, you were dying. "Why don't you come with me?" He asks gently. To this you nod your head. 

You and Robert walk along the paths of the zoo. For a such a nice day few people are at the zoo. The trees looked beautiful swaying in the wind and dappled by gentle sunlight. The animals were oddly peaceful. As you walked back through the African area you saw zebras grazing on some grass. You suddenly remembered that you were volunteering but realized that you could probably be excused from your duties because you were walking with Robert. Every now and then Robert would look at you with an extremely pleasant facial expression. 

"I just realized I don't have your number. Can I have it? I'll give you mine." He pulled out his phone and showed you his. You quickly typed it into your phone and put his name as Robert. Then changed it to Robert Irwin both in the first name slot so you would never forget you befriended him. 

"Yeah my number is 555-555-0051." He quickly thumbs it into his phone and then texts you. 

"Howdy stranger!" The text reads. You laugh and this and text back "there's only room for one wildlife enthusiast in these parts." He in turn, laughs and puts his phone away. His eyes make contact with you. You look away before you stare into his eyes and never stop.

A medium sized bird lands on a tree a little far away. It's on a lower branch of a grey gum. Right in front of the tree is a boy who looks to be your age. He starts to walk towards you.

"G'day! I noticed you looking at me over there!" He has a sultry look. He was pretty good looking. Sea green eyes and copper hair. "My names Nick." He offers his hand to you. You shake it. 

"Um... I wasn't looking at you. I was trying to figure what type of pigeon that is. It's a common Bronzewing." You state cluelessly. He looks at you disappointed. He shifts his weight. He stares at the ground. 

"Oh.  Well I'm gonna go then. Sorry and bye." He walks off look dejected and you have no clue why. 

"Wow Y/N that was brutal." Robert says to you not joking. He sees the confused look on your face  and tells you "He was so clearly interested in you!" He tells you. He looks like he wants to shake you to get the point across to you. 

"Really?" You ask shocked. "Are you sure?" Robert nods profusely. "Oh wow. I feel terrible. I didn't even notice." You tell him. 

"Well Y/N you should get back to work. I don't want them throwing you out of the volunteer squad because of me." He stands there waiting for you to say something. 

"Okay. Well today was fun Robert. I'll talk to you soon, okay?" You pat his cheek and laugh. He doesn't return the laughter. You walk away and almost trip. 

As you work you think about your last interaction with Robert. Was he upset at me? You think. You continue to pick up the poop in the echidna enclosure. You wonder why Robert would be mad at you as you work. Feeling a little upset. You text your mom "I'm walking home today ttyl." 

As you walk home you kick a rock across the sidewalk. The sun is setting and the trees are swaying in the wind as it suddenly gets chilly. You shiver and put on a black zip up hoodie. You are thankful for the jeans and glad you aren't wearing shorts. You think that the day went well until, well, the end with Nick. You fling open the door and walk inside your large family home. 

"Hi sweetie! How was the first day?" Your mom asks enthusiastically. She pauses stirring the pot of pasta sauce and peers over her glasses. She is wearing a grey cardigan and her hair is in a messy bun. 

"It was good. Tiring though." You sigh as you sit down on the couch. Olivia and Charlie come running in and hug you. 

"Sissy! How was working with all the animals?" Charlie asks. You laugh and tell him it was good. You get up and pick him up and toss him onto the olive green couch and tickle him. You switch between him and Olivia. They laugh and you tickle them until it's dinner. You eat a delicious meal of pasta and vegan meatballs. Your dad had come home from work a few minutes prior. He looks tired but happy to be home with his family. 

Word count: 901